Convict Tang with unusual marking

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic

Anyone have an idea what the black line on my convict's belly might be? It's on both sides. I've had the convict for over two years. Have not added any new fish to the tank in about a year. All went through the QT protocol.

I haven't paid close attention to the convict recently, and only noticed the markings within the last few days. Behavior and eating habits have seen no changes. Hoping it's just skin pigmentation, but I've not seen anything like this before. The black spot adjacent to the next to last vertical bar is definitely skin pigmentation. Been there since I got the convict.
20230621_155119_resized.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks healthy ,thinking nice markings... :)
But I'm no expert... @Jay Hemdal ?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#fishmedic

Anyone have an idea what the black line on my convict's belly might be? It's on both sides. I've had the convict for over two years. Have not added any new fish to the tank in about a year. All went through the QT protocol.

I haven't paid close attention to the convict recently, and only noticed the markings within the last few days. Behavior and eating habits have seen no changes. Hoping it's just skin pigmentation, but I've not seen anything like this before. The black spot adjacent to the next to last vertical bar is definitely skin pigmentation. Been there since I got the convict.
To me the fish looks a little thin. How big is it? Juveniles can have spots like this. How long did it take to occur/appear? EdiT - especially if the spot is exactly the same on both sides.

Last edited:
OP
OP
threebuoys

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, the fish looks a little thin. How big is it? Juveniles can have spots like this. How long did it take to occur/appear?
Weight wise, the fish is healthy. The black lines horizontal on each side of the abdomen appeared within the past 3 months. Honestly, I just noticed them over the past week. The tank has been very stable for some time, and I haven't looked closely at the individual fish in several weeks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic

The two black spots on the caudal peduncle and at the insertion of the pectoral fin can be normal for this species. Have they been there the whole time? The spot on the fourth stripe and then on the belly/mouth are not typical. Melanin skin deposits can happen from contact with stinging LPS corals, any chance of that?

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The two black spots on the caudal peduncle and at the insertion of the pectoral fin can be normal for this species. Have they been there the whole time? The spot on the fourth stripe and then on the belly/mouth are not typical. Melanin skin deposits can happen from contact with stinging LPS corals, any chance of that?

Jay
Curious - from my understanding - the spot is identical on the other side of the fish (Or perhaps I misunderstood)?

OP
OP
threebuoys

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay

Curious - from my understanding - the spot is identical on the other side of the fish (Or perhaps I misunderstood)?
The spot on the fourth stripe has been present since I got the tang 2 years +/- ago. It is only on one side. The horizontal line of spots on the belly leading up to the mouth has only appeared recently (last 2-3 months at most) and appears on both sides of the fish. Nothing unusual about the fish behavior.

OP
OP
threebuoys

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
The tang may have been stung by a coral. I had discounted that because the belly marks were on both sides rather than just one side. But certainly could have been stung on both sides.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back