Coolest fish you've kept or seen

Larry Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2309.JPG
I just got a flame hawkfish last week, he is a really neat fish and reef safe.
Flame hawk is a gorgeous fish, with the coolest personality, however, they can eat a small fortune in " designer shrimp" in a matter of no time.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160811_155756.jpg
20160811_155800.jpg
Borbonious Anthias also! You could make a stocking list and ask when to add one it that is a pick. Might help on aggression. My is a enthusiastic eater but (fingers crossed) not a bully. I added him after my trigger and tangs. So my tang is the boss of my tank.

Pic of 3 of my favorites- Borbonius Anthias, Whitetail Bristletooth tang and Solorenis Fairy Wrasse.
Flame hawks are awesome! You have to check them out on video-they roll their eyes!

Last edited:

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't they eat shrimp?
yes, it does say they can eat "small" shrimp. I dont have any shrimp at the moment. Anyone know what "small" means? would a cleaner shrimp be in danger? I was thinking of adding a shrimp in the future.

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue dot jawfish was an awesome addition. Extremely personable, grouchy as can be. He ate outta my hand and would curl up in it if I cupped it. But like all good things, he came to his end when I upgraded tanks and didn't have a cover :-( I now have a cover

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, it does say they can eat "small" shrimp. I dont have any shrimp at the moment. Anyone know what "small" means? would a cleaner shrimp be in danger? I was thinking of adding a shrimp in the future.

Here is a quote from @eatbreakfast :
"Flame hawks are listed as reef safe with caution because they may eat small ornamental inverts, like sexy shrimp or Periclemines shrimp. I have found flame hawks are usually pretty peaceful."

Also most hawks are listed that way. But flames aren't as likely as say an arc hawk. Also the shrimp you probably are wanting most are cleaner shrimp - flames won't bother those. As @eatbreakfast stated flames would be more tempted by ornamental (looks only) inverts than functional inverts.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back