Copepod & phytoplankton informational vids

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all.

I have recently started making some informational-type videos on phytoplankton and copepods. When I started, there were plenty of “how to start” videos, but beyond that I felt like I was pioneering the rest of the time (obviously I wasn’t, but information seemed lacking).
All of these videos I made, I would’ve love to have when I started. I’m open to feedback, comments, etc.

Here is a link to the playlist:

Or if you prefer instagram, you can find them here: https://instagram.com/reefer_dan?igshid=YTQwZjQ0NmI0OA==

So far there are videos on:
• the benefit of different phyto
•splitting and harvest a phyto culture
• visual stages of phyto culture growth
• common copepods for reefing
• harvesting a copepod culture - this one I am hopefully will upload later this week.

Hope people find these helpful. Happy reefing!

August

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your videos. I have started to culture phytoplankton and I have been at a loss for information about how to gauge my own setup's success and methodology. Do you have suggestions on places or reading material for the various benefits of the multiple cultures you dose? Also, I was curious that you were culturing diano. There was a talk i ran across that BRS did when he commented on the need for dianos for pods. Thanks in advance and best wishes for you :)

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for your videos. I have started to culture phytoplankton and I have been at a loss for information about how to gauge my own setup's success and methodology. Do you have suggestions on places or reading material for the various benefits of the multiple cultures you dose? Also, I was curious that you were culturing diano. There was a talk i ran across that BRS did when he commented on the need for dianos for pods. Thanks in advance and best wishes for you :)
This is exactly why I made some of these videos. When I started culturing plankton, there were plenty of “how-to start a phytoplankton culture” videos, but no real information beyond how to start. I don’t have any specific materials. I did a ton of looking at research articles, etc. for the benefits video I made.

The one video I made that I would’ve loved when I first started was the visual stages of phytoplankton growth I made.

I currently culture to diatoms (not Dino’s): T. Weiss floggi & C. Calcitrans. I personally culture 5 species of phyto: 2 diatoms, 1 red algae, 1 golden algae, and 1 green algae. I do this for the diversity as they all serve a different purpose and niche according to what I’ve found. Some copepods will eat diatoms.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just uploaded the video I mentioned in the first post about how to harvest and do a full water change on tig copepods. Here is link. Hope people find this helpful. Happy Reefing friends!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 52 54.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.2%
Back