Copper test kits

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is a list of the most commonly available copper products, their therapeutic ranges and compatible copper test kit(s):
  • Cuprion (0.20 ppm): Seachem or Salifert copper test kit
  • Cupramine (0.4 - 0.5 ppm): Seachem or Salifert copper test kit
  • Coppersafe (1.5 - 2.0 ppm): API copper test kit
  • Kordon Copper Aid (1.5 - 2.0 ppm): API copper test kit (Avoid this brand of copper; it's too watered down)
  • Copper Power (1.5 - 2.0 ppm): API copper test kit
In addition to the aforementioned hobbyist grade test kits, below is a highly accurate "professional grade" test kit capable of reading all forms of copper:

Hanna High Range Copper Colorimeter (HI702): https://hannainst.com/hi702-copper-hr.html
R2R article on the HI702 here: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/coppe...truments-high-range-copper-checker-hi702.454/

Many thanks to @HotRocks for discovering this and doing all the initial experimentation. You can read about his research/experiences using the HI702 Colorimeter here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...instruments-high-range-copper-checker.368943/

Last edited:

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Chemetrics myself. Very accurate.

I find Copper testing very challenging to read. Do you find the Chemetrics easy to read? Does it accurately measure all forms (chelated and non chelated) of copper used with our fish quarantining? I'm still trying to determine which form of copper is more effective and perhaps easier to use.

Thanks in advance.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find Copper testing very challenging to read. Do you find the Chemetrics easy to read? Does it accurately measure all forms (chelated and non chelated) of copper used with our fish quarantining? I'm still trying to determine which form of copper is more effective and perhaps easier to use.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not positive about all forms, but it's very accurate with Cupramine. I'm assuming it will be with all the others as well. It's super easy to read.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity would you say this is 0.5? I don't like colorimetric tests and always doubt myself.

IMG_5575.JPG

LA Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Humblefish
I have my qt ready to go and will be using coppersafe as my method of copper treatment and was wondering what you think about the hanna hi-range copper checker? Would that work also?

LA Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
I have my qt ready to go and will be using coppersafe as my method of copper treatment and was wondering what you think about the hanna hi-range copper checker? Would that work also?

I think I remember seeing something about that checker not working on saltwater? Maybe I'm wrong on that and I checked the manual for it and it didn't specify fresh vs salt water. Hmm.. I wonder where I heard that.

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Just trying to find the "easiest" test kit. I hate trying to color match. Would rather get a digital reading. lol
I think I remember seeing something about that checker not working on saltwater? Maybe I'm wrong on that and I checked the manual for it and it didn't specify fresh vs salt water. Hmm.. I wonder where I heard that.
@Humblefish
@LA Reef Addict Unfortunately, I have no experience using the Hanna Checker. But I do have some recent experience using the Chemetrics test kit and it works very well with Coppersafe:

httpss://www.chemetrics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=392
Hello all, thanks for thinking of Hanna in this thread! Our HI747 Low Range Copper Test has not been tested in Seawater and accuracy is unknown if used in the reef tank. It does have a range of 0 - 999 ppb with an accuracy of ±5% of reading ± 10 ppb. The Checker uses an adaptation of the EPA method. The reaction between copper and the bicinchoninate reagent causes a purple tint in the sample, similar to the Hach test. Interference may be caused by: Silver, Cyanide. For samples overcoming buffering capacity of reagent (around pH 6.8), pH should be adjusted between 6 and 8. So theoretically a pH of greater than 8 could have an impact on results. However the reagents brings the sample pH down slightly so it might be fine we just cannot confirm at this time. We are working on testing this Checker in seawater but at this time cannot confirm the accuracy outside of freshwater.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back