OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this pump because I was setting up a new 220 gallon tank and needed a return pump. I figured why not, I have the Apex Gold along with ATK, WAV's, 1Link, FMM w/ FS-50 so I figured more Neptune equipment...sure, why not!!!

I am a big fan of Neptune stuff....just like control and automation and information on everything.

Time will tell with this pump for sure, but it's been in testing phases for quite a long time and I don't think 90% of us here will be doing anything out of the norm with it.

I just wish I could ramp it up some more and get more flow through it and my overflows.....I have to play with that because my overflows get loud, move up and down when I crank it up.

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just slowly ramped up to 42%, tweaked overflows and valves on drains....running good now.
42% Flow
38 watts
2007 RPM
55% TMP

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you ever have to throttle back your COR with a valve if you couldn't get the flow down low enough with Apex control? Could you?

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you would ever need to because you can get so granular with the control and flow of the COR pump from Fusion.
You can go in 1% increments on your max and min flow.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a COR15 and I have had it breaking in my new manifold over the last few days. It is amazing how silent it is, it's running in a 5g bucket next to my couch and I was ramping it up and down and my fiancé who was sitting a foot away couldn't even tell. This is a good thing since she thinks my current return pump is too loud.

0fc089728eacdac0e8d93a43c9dfaef8.jpg

I'm installing a flow meter tonight so I'll post some results

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, it’s crazy how quiet it is.
I have to stick my face up to my sump just to see if it’s running.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyone using for screens on theirs?

I'm considering one of these
852a9d7f0ab41effc8efb2ccf44ce3d8.jpg
3f9f4baa988e6727caadd6cc10294eef.jpg

I'm not running the pump at a high flow so it shouldn't have a negative effect and it will give me peace of mind that a snail won't make it in

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this from a spare Jebao pump that I use just for pumping water for water changes.
I was gonna modify it to fit on the COR-20

01C7BDE2-A891-42DE-8E3A-83D845D28654.jpeg

Maximus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is everyone using for screens on theirs?

I'm considering one of these
852a9d7f0ab41effc8efb2ccf44ce3d8.jpg
3f9f4baa988e6727caadd6cc10294eef.jpg

I'm not running the pump at a high flow so it shouldn't have a negative effect and it will give me peace of mind that a snail won't make it in
Great idea! I wonder which one would fit?

OP
OP
C

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune included a bunch of fittings for this pump, they should have included a screen for it too.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a review here. In short, I replaced a Varios 6 and when the two pumps are running at equivalent speeds (measured by the setting that matches the bean animal flow without changing the gate valve) the two pumps use the same amount of power and make the same amount of noise. The COR 20 running at 70% was equivalent to a Varios6 running at 100% and the noise is audible with the sump doors open, inaudible with them closed.

Is anyone running this pump externally, and if so, how are the temps running?

Can you guys post your flow percentages, rpm, and temp? Also what size output are you using?

Power: 61 Watts
Speed: 2210 RPM
Temp: 61%
1 ¼” output line running submerged
No idea about the flow (no good/reliable way to measure)

My experience/ thoughts:
The extra union they include is nice but the actual unions, the 3/4" and 1" unions have no side walls. The 3/4" union is roughly 1/3" of an inch deep! I wouldn't trust that to hold at all. I'd be terrified that I'd bump it and cause a leak. I've never seen any PVC fitting not be at least as deep as the diameter of the pipe.
I'm also not crazy about having to break out a hex key to remove the shroud and impeller every time a piece of cheato finds its way in there. I'm a big fan of the newer (and older) pumps that can be field stripped by hand in seconds. If I'm really being honest, an intake screen would have been a nice touch as well. Perhaps they were trying to come in low on the price point? I'm happy paying more for a quality product, which is what Neptune Apex is to me. This, I feel, felt short of that expectation. I think for what would have cost an extra $50 (retail) they could have nailed it and been at a price point everyone would have been happy with.

Every pump I have had has needed a tool to open the volute - ether an Allen wrench or a screw driver so I would argue that a tool-free design is the exception rather than the rule. I agree that an intake screen would have been a really nice addition, though.

As far as the 1” and ¾” unions go, I’ll have to look when I get home, but I thought they were slip fittings meant to be cemented.

What will be most interesting to me is pump longevity - and that obviously won't be apparent for a while.
This. Performance is nice, but reliability is key wiht a return pump.

Would you ever have to throttle back your COR with a valve if you couldn't get the flow down low enough with Apex control? Could you?

No - you can adjust the output of the pump in 1% increments. I have my low flow threshold set so it exactly balances the back siphon pressure giving no flow forward and no back siphoning.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a review here. In short, I replaced a Varios 6 and when the two pumps are running at equivalent speeds (measured by the setting that matches the bean animal flow without changing the gate valve) the two pumps use the same amount of power and make the same amount of noise. The COR 20 running at 70% was equivalent to a Varios6 running at 100% and the noise is audible with the sump doors open, inaudible with them closed.

Is anyone running this pump externally, and if so, how are the temps running?

Mine are going to be external nut I am waiting on my tank to arrive it's ordered and they sent me a picture today the glass came in so it will be soon

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3/4 and 1” unions are meant to be cemented however the joint won’t have much contact between the pipe and collar with the included fittings. Looking around my fittings, every fitting allows the pipe to penetrate at least as deep as the diameter of the pipe. This, I assume, is to allow for the pipe and fitting to overlap and make a solid joint.

If you look at the Varios fittings, they are quite deep. At least as deep as the pipe diameter to be cemented into it. The Varios included unions are also much more low profile which is nice. The Cor reminds me of the Flintstones car when the dinosaur ribs are stacked on top. The 1.25” union is almost as big as the pump. A more low profile bottom like the Varios uses would have been a nice touch.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3/4 and 1” unions are meant to be cemented however the joint won’t have much contact between the pipe and collar with the included fittings. Looking around my fittings, every fitting allows the pipe to penetrate at least as deep as the diameter of the pipe. This, I assume, is to allow for the pipe and fitting to overlap and make a solid joint.

If you look at the Varios fittings, they are quite deep. At least as deep as the pipe diameter to be cemented into it. The Varios included unions are also much more low profile which is nice. The Cor reminds me of the Flintstones car when the dinosaur ribs are stacked on top. The 1.25” union is almost as big as the pump. A more low profile bottom like the Varios uses would have been a nice touch.
Mine are still in the box if you don't mind I am curiuse about this I will have mine external so I for sure want a good seal I wonder what thread is on the pump

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Vectra ones are even smaller I beleive

Anyone know how to set there pump to say 500 gph with the flow meter in code?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gluing 'shoulder' on the Vectra collars is very shallow. Not a fan. I just went with the full width adapters and I imagine that's possible with the COR as well.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the 1.25” union but I wish I had kept the union from my Varios to use instead.

Back