0   0   0
Can anyone help me identify this coral frag please? Thanks in advance

IMG_9273.jpeg

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its those acan echinata no clue what are they called now though (name been changing a lot)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Can anyone help me identify this coral frag please? Thanks in advance

IMG_9273.jpeg
Looks like acan enchinata or bowerbanki- Hard to clearly see on my phone

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acanthastrea sp.

I think its those acan echinata no clue what are they called now though (name been changing a lot)
Not necessarily echinata, as most of the Acanthastrea species (brevis, echinata, subechinata, hemprichii, rotundoflora) are poorly differentiated from each other.

Can you post another pic from the top? Looks like a favia but hard to tell from the picture.
Favia don't occur in the hobby

Looks like acan enchinata or bowerbanki- Hard to clearly see on my phone
Not Homophyllia bowerbanki; corallites not large enough & flesh texture isn't right

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acanthastrea sp.

Not necessarily echinata, as most of the Acanthastrea species (brevis, echinata, subechinata, hemprichii, rotundoflora) are poorly differentiated from each other.

Favia don't occur in the hobby

Not Homophyllia bowerbanki; corallites not large enough & flesh texture isn't right
How do u tell the other ones? (brevis, echinata, subechinata, hemprichii, rotundoflora) from each other?

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do u tell the other ones? (brevis, echinata, subechinata, hemprichii, rotundoflora) from each other?
Not much work has been done to delimit these five species from each other genetically, but Veron differentiates the morphospecies this way: Acanthastrea echinata has medium-sized, fleshy polyps with concentric wrinkles and "warts"; A. subechinata has smaller, less fleshy corallites without concentric wrinkles, A. brevis is not fleshy to the point of having visible septal teeth, A. hemprichii looks similar to Homophyllia bowerbanki but is separated by biogeogeaphical distribution ([non-pachysepta] Acanthastrea does not occur in Australia, and Homophyllia [Scolies and bowerbankis] don't occur outside of Australia [although they rarely occur in New Caledonia]); and A. rotundofloria is Echinophyllia-like. In reality, these differences could be chalked up to morphological variation, and either these phenotypes are all likely a single species, or the species boundaries are actually based on biogeography instead of morphology.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 156 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back