Coral Pro to Tropic Marine

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I'm finally seeing the precip that everyone has spoken about with using Coral Pro in a AWC station. I want to make this move, but very slowly. Has anyone else done this large of an ALK change successfully? I figure I would drag this out over the next month or two since I'll be going from 11-12 to 8-9. Does that sound reasonable or am I being over cautious in one way or another?

My tank is SPS dominant.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having any adverse affects from the higher alk? Is the precipitate in the mixing station or in the display?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just add some soda ash to your new mix. My alk is in the mid 8's and TM pro mixes in the high 7's, so I just add some soda ash to the fresh mix. I love TM pro, it's great! What are you using to maintain your alk? 2 part? Reactor? It shouldn't take that long to adjust your alk, but going slow is always best. I think you could safely lower alk a half point each day or two and you should be fine.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I'm finally seeing the precip that everyone has spoken about with using Coral Pro in a AWC station. I want to make this move, but very slowly. Has anyone else done this large of an ALK change successfully? I figure I would drag this out over the next month or two since I'll be going from 11-12 to 8-9. Does that sound reasonable or am I being over cautious in one way or another?

My tank is SPS dominant.
I made the same change awhile ago. I turned my doser off, let alk naturally fall to 9, then did a 30% water change with Tm pro. I did 30% a month until I had done essentially a 200% water change, now I change it once every two months. I didn’t lose any coral at all doing it this way.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take to fall from 11-12 to 9? I change 3gal a day in my 525xl so I'm thinking that would take around a month or so for it to fall completely to a stable level.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having any adverse affects from the higher alk? Is the precipitate in the mixing station or in the display?

I'm not having any adverse affects, except my mixing station pump just seized up. Precip is in the mixing station only, but the equipment being covered in this gunk leaves a bad taste in my mouth, even if harmless.

Just add some soda ash to your new mix. My alk is in the mid 8's and TM pro mixes in the high 7's, so I just add some soda ash to the fresh mix. I love TM pro, it's great! What are you using to maintain your alk? 2 part? Reactor? It shouldn't take that long to adjust your alk, but going slow is always best. I think you could safely lower alk a half point each day or two and you should be fine.

No maintaining right now, Coral Pro mixes to 11-12 ALK and I change 3 gal a day with my AWC. I'm on the verge of dosing though, but planned to start with Kalk. Have a link to said Soda Ash that I can review? I wouldn't mind keeping my ALK higher, but I like the idea of not having to dose trace elements.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not having any adverse affects, except my mixing station pump just seized up. Precip is in the mixing station only, but the equipment being covered in this gunk leaves a bad taste in my mouth, even if harmless.

I understand completely! I was using reef crystals and would get all sorts of precip in my mixing container. I eventually switched back to regular IO and have had zero problems.

nothing wrong with wanting it to be clean!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take to fall from 11-12 to 9? I change 3gal a day in my 525xl so I'm thinking that would take around a month or so for it to fall completely to a stable level.
2 weeks, my consumption wasn’t very high then.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand completely! I was using reef crystals and would get all sorts of precip in my mixing container. I eventually switched back to regular IO and have had zero problems.

nothing wrong with wanting it to be clean!

The worst part is I've been on these forums saying how I haven't seen any issues lol... when it stopped working and I pulled the pump out to find this black crud all over it I was taken back. Hate to make changes when things are going well, but no risk no reward I suppose.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The worst part is I've been on these forums saying how I haven't seen any issues lol... when it stopped working and I pulled the pump out to find this black crud all over it I was taken back. Hate to make changes when things are going well, but no risk no reward I suppose.

Well technically you didnt "see" any issues...

Howlnsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started seeing it as well. I'm using RS Blue bucket everything was good for 9 months then I started seeing black crud in my saltwater holding tank. I thought it was algae at first till I saw it was black. To be honest I freaked a little when I took my circulation pump out and saw the impeller broken. I thought the pump rusted and it leached into my tank but yet everything was healthy. It wasn't until I talked to my LFS that I realized it was precipitate. I never saw black before, only white or crusty tan.
A lot of scrubbing later and a vinegar wash, all is good. Then I went and decided to build a new water changing station .... ahhh never ends

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

No maintaining right now, Coral Pro mixes to 11-12 ALK and I change 3 gal a day with my AWC. I'm on the verge of dosing though, but planned to start with Kalk. Have a link to said Soda Ash that I can review? I wouldn't mind keeping my ALK higher, but I like the idea of not having to dose trace elements.

I just use the BRS Pharma grade soda ash, very simple. Test the alk in the mixed water, use their (BRS) calculator and adjust accordingly. On average I have to add about 4 - 5mL to my mixed water. Also, changing 3 gallons a day will not drop your alk that much at all, so you can switch out with no problems. What size tank?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly, I would just swap salt mixes and continue your AWC, just monitor your alk for a week or so to see if there are any major changes. I would also find out what your daily alk consumption actually is. If you're keeping a sps dominant tank, then I would look into a calcium reactor for the long term, but it's not necessary.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been studying Calcium Reactors. I'm not there yet, most of my coral is still growing. Most are 4-6 months in the tank, bought at live sales. I think that will be the plan. Thanks all

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back