Coraline grows but can't get established

muppet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's wrong with my water?

In my tank I've got coralline growing all over the place. On the sump walls, in the overflow, and on the back glass, but it won't establish any decent coverage. The coralline "disc" forms, spreads out to about 3/4", and then it "rots" out from the center, leaving a hollow circle behind. This repeats again and again. What's causing the coralline to disappear in this pattern that is not stopping it from forming altogether?

My params:

Temp: 77.5F
SG: 1.025
pH: 8.15
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0.1
Alk: 4 meg/L
No Ca test
No Mg test

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also high light will prevent its growth. Under intense lighting you see very little long term vibrant colored growth. However if you look under or inside (If you have hollow rock), you will usually find much more in the more shaded areas.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the calcium. I believe there are different types of coraline also.

Sent from my DROIDX

Indeed there are, as well as different colors. The green seems to be more common under more intense light while the pink appears to like higher flow areas. The deep purple encrusting appears to prefer lower light (like PCs) and lots of calcium. Personally I haven't been able to determine what the purple branching type prefers, but I would sure like to.

patent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also high light will prevent its growth. Under intense lighting you see very little long term vibrant colored growth. However if you look under or inside (If you have hollow rock), you will usually find much more in the more shaded areas.

This is what happens in my tank, I have a decent about of coralline in shaded areas, but on top of the rocks where it would be most visible its nonexistant.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting and mag are the biggest factors IMHO... I have zero corralline growth in my tank and I'm far from complaining I hate scraping that stuff!!!! If your lights are bright you won't ever see any...

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it sounds like you are blessed with a tank that grows and then gets rid of its own coraline. keeps you from scraping it all off. do you have an urchin?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure of the answer to your question (my guess would be magnesium), but I do think that you should invests in calcium and magnesium test kits, assuming that you want to keep corals.

CJ

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never been successful in growing coralline algae in my tank for all eight years of me being in the hobby. Regardless of decent mag, calcium dosing nor my lights being predominately VHO's! I have a spot every now and then, but realistically I just don't have much. I am amazed at some people's growth of the stuff... but every time I look to see what they did.. it doesn't not really differ from that I do.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats pretty crazy to me that some people have such a tough time growing coraline algae. I kind of wish i was in the category because scraping is a pain but i always thought coraline algae was a sign of a healthy tank. I guess every tank is different.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats pretty crazy to me that some people have such a tough time growing coraline algae. I kind of wish i was in the category because scraping is a pain but i always thought coraline algae was a sign of a healthy tank. I guess every tank is different.

+1. Christian- do you have an urchin or something else that might be eating the coraline?

CJ

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i move rocks around i see it low light areas but anything getting blasted by the halides it won't grow...... im waiting to see if it comes in with leds..... i hope not.."fingers crossed" also if your po4 and no3 is truly at 0 it won't grow it is a algae and needs some nutrients.... biggest factor i have seen thou is mag honestly....

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 66 49.3%
  • Full frame

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 22 16.4%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back