Coralline algae introduction

keithdoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys sure that green is actually coralline Algae? Could it be early stage of some algae in newly cycling tank?

I remember (when my tank started up) seeing some spots (not entire surface) kinda green at first, that then turned another color (can't remember if purple or pink).

Incidentally - during a recent takedown to move and upgrade my tank, I saw all colors of coralline in the dry tank (pink, orange, bright purple, dark purple, dark red). Probably just from them drying out for a couple of days - will see if they return.

Good luck. When in doubt, snails and frags will definitely work!!!

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what you guys are seeing is the natural process/progression of any regular base rock. I have the same happening in my tank and haven't dosed any of these coralline additives. I think your best bet is to ask your LFS to scrape some off their tanks or get snails and crabs with it on their shells.
I believe these coralline bottles provide what they need to thrive but not really seed a tank that doesn't have any in it. JMO

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 2 bottles, little purple, very little but green is taking over. I did not want green, anything but green... now what do I do? Paid $$ for dry rock and 1,000’s for a tank to get green rock? I hope not, I hope purple takes over. I’m now introducing real coralline algae into the tank with snails
3DDA9DE0-B29D-4D92-9F1F-437EBBCF86DB.jpeg

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people are getting green out of this product. Look on amazon reviews

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newly cycled tanks with dry rock? I think it's just algae. A lot of these pics look like my first tank with natural cycle progression. I hope I'm wrong though and all of you get the green coralline that you're wishing for!
I don’t want green coralline algae lol

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Base rock, usually turns green first then different shades of darker green and some reddish/purple spots then turns a mix of dark green/red/pink/purple even if you don't add any of those bottles. It's the natural algae that begins to grow on the rocks. Eventually you will get the coralline and it's usually the green kind that appears first but you will know it's it when it's forming on the glass

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get those colors even if you don’t add that bottle. You need to seed your tank, if you add no coralline then you will never get it. As I have read over and over before.

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like someone had stated earlier, it's not coralline that your seeing. It's algae starting to get on the rocks. The algae grows and covers rocks slowly as the tank matures. It's a good thing

skiergd011013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i know one thing. Arc reef has great customer service. I got this product almost 2 months ago, and saw zero results. The thing is, my bottle got delivered in sub zero temps. I called them before hand with concerns, and they said as long as it doesnt freeze, it would be fine. I received the bottle liquid, but extremely cold. After dosing it, waiting almost 2 months, and seeing nothing, i suspected i got a dead batch. Maybe it froze in transit. I emailed arc reef and explained this. I got a response the next day with an apology, and they sent me out three additional bottles, and 3 coralline covered rocks, all of which I added today. So, ill wait and see again!

twistedfinn967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, i know one thing. Arc reef has great customer service. I got this product almost 2 months ago, and saw zero results. The thing is, my bottle got delivered in sub zero temps. I called them before hand with concerns, and they said as long as it doesnt freeze, it would be fine. I received the bottle liquid, but extremely cold. After dosing it, waiting almost 2 months, and seeing nothing, i suspected i got a dead batch. Maybe it froze in transit. I emailed arc reef and explained this. I got a response the next day with an apology, and they sent me out three additional bottles, and 3 coralline covered rocks, all of which I added today. So, ill wait and see again!
From what I've seen and read on here, they have great customer service. If I'm ever in the market for something that they carry or do, they will definitely be in the running.

LPStandard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that is service!
I have two bottles arriving today. Hopefully it works as planned.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back