Corals and sponges and algae oh my!

sagedrake690

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya yall! I got one heck of a doozie for you! I bought a live rock for some sponge growing on it but I noticed what looks like a coral...or more than one type?
20201015_185359.jpg

20201015_185308.jpg
20201015_185314.jpg

I have no idea if the second one is a coral. It looks like it has coral features. Likewise, I'm almost certain this is a coral larvae.

20201015_231613.jpg

The coral looks like it might be a kenya tree or something like it. I have no clue what these yellow things are next to the sponge but they aren't tubeworms. This is the larva under a microscope. Note the lack of heart, brain etc. that would make this a worm. Also note it's weird butt like back end that should become its polyps. This is x1000.

20201015_231348.jpg

I saw only 2 of these on the glass. How do I grow them? I have a live rock separated from my tank and scraped off some of the coralline algae and seeded it with that. I have the lil guy in there and left the other in my tank. Any idea what kind it might be? I got all this on an 8$ rock!

any advice would be appreciated and thank you in advance! I didn't intend on getting coral yet but it looks like fate played a funny hand, so I'm gonna roll with it and pray for the best and research like crazy as well as bug you all insistently lol.

OP
OP
S

sagedrake690

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have put him back in the tank in case he is a coral. I figured I'd just let him do his thing. I have no clue if it is one but it definitely looks like one. Doesn't move like a worm. Ill keep this updated in case the coral i have grows more or if anything else pops up.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 112 77.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back