Corals discovered where none were expected

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
An area of deep-sea coral reefs has just been discovered off the coast of Israel, the first such reef to be found in what is generally considered a region with sparse sea life.

The exploration vessel Nautilus, operated by a team of experts from the University of Haifa in Israel, discovered the deep-sea corals.

The area stretches over a few miles, roughly 2,297 feet (700 meters) under the ocean surface and some 19 to 26 miles (30 to 40 kilometers) off the coast of Tel Aviv.

"We did not expect, know or even imagine that we would come across these reefs and certainly not such large ones. It's like finding a flourishing oasis in the middle of the desert," said Yizhaq Makovsky, who directed the University of Haifa control center for the project.

The discovery of these coral reefs has broad scientific importance. They can help researchers to better understand the mechanisms of survival in the environmental conditions of the deep sea, as well as to determine how these conditions correlate with the effect of global changes over time.

In-depth research on sea-bed samples from the area has yet to be completed, but additional discoveries include two shipwrecks — probably modern boats that sunk over the past few decades; and fish and crabs that were photographed in their natural habitat for the first time, hundreds of meters beneath the Mediterranean surface.

"This cruise has provided a nutshell sampling of this maritime region, but our discovery only demonstrates the potential of the many surprises that await us in the depths of this area," Makovsky said. "An immediate implication of this discovery is that there is an urgent need to classify the area as a deep-sea reserve, as are other coral reef areas around the world."

Corals discovered where none were expected - Technology & science - Science - OurAmazingPlanet - msnbc.com

deep-sea-coral-mediterranean-101004-02%5B1%5D.grid-6x2.jpg

Tyrrell109

Wet Behind The Ears
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great post Rev. I hope they pop some red tape around that area so it can be preserved as quickly as possible.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks I found this in recent reef news. I love where they found it!

Jerad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev, do you know if there is a lot of biodiversity, or is it just a few kinds of coral? It would be cool if there were corals there that were more safe with high temp fluctuations.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it me or do those pepperment shrimp look like the size of most fish they are crazy big.

raymond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow thats crazy, humans have been on earth a long time and we are 1 still discovering stuff and 2 havent destroyed everything yet

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is pretty awesome. I think that this is one of the things that I love about the ocean is their is so much out their that we truly don't know anything about. I mean i think the majority of the stuff on land has been discovered but the ocean I am sure has creatures that we never have set eyes on. Thanks for the post always interesting stuff.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd throw this out there to see what others think... So if the oceans are getting warmer wouldn't that mean that other areas that were once too cool to support a reef may now be just right for coral growth..... I'm a believer in how this world works, a balance to everything IMO :)

gweston

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing! Didn't think there would be a reef over, not to mention as deep as that. I wonder what the typical light level is.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, this is great. Hopefully it'll go into protection immediately to prevent scavengers and from being destroyed.

jiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is pretty awesome. I think that this is one of the things that I love about the ocean is their is so much out their that we truly don't know anything about. I mean i think the majority of the stuff on land has been discovered but the ocean I am sure has creatures that we never have set eyes on. Thanks for the post always interesting stuff.

i agree

MimicOcto8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unbelieveable! thats why I love the ocean. always something new and throwing us a twist. wish I was a marine biologist sometimes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back