Corals dying

Nate_Krohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 9 colonies and frags of zoanthids die and completely disappear over the past month or so. They completely disappear within an hour of them closing up. I am now losing my torch and another colony of paly. Tested everything with my water- all checks out. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Ammonia & nitrite: 0
Phosphate- .05
dkH: 7.8
pH: 8.1
Calcium: 440

OP
OP
Nate_Krohn

Nate_Krohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some pics

C0F92E3D-B3EC-456A-8E18-29D5879E26FD.jpeg 3F908DED-C21C-49F1-9864-8AC8073A6CA6.jpeg 046B2DEF-7B85-4BF8-998B-CBEDB72E7B50.png 2CF0CF0E-7497-4D98-9993-DF7E1CAEA5E9.jpeg EAB74B10-C30E-4DBF-978A-2543E5DB40B6.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pics are pretty good but I cannot make out anything pest wise.

Nate, did you dip and do you have any dip? What kind?

How long had those zoas been in there doing OK before closing/melting?

Triple checked on salinity? What salt mix?

Tank looks pretty clean. You have PO4, how about a little Nitrate?

This is a goofy long shot, but you could try dosing a small amount of Lugol's iodine just in case it is depleted. I sent an ICP test when a few things (gonio, zoa, duncan) were looking off. Had zero Iodine while my salt says it has .06. Perked right up after the dose. Will be an ongoing weekly task going forward.

That pace of loss, I'd order up an ICP test pronto. And dip for pests.

Sorry for the troubles. Hang in.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have hermit crabs or any type of crabs in your tank? Also, have you taken a few of these out for a dip in revive (or whatever you use)?

OP
OP
Nate_Krohn

Nate_Krohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pics are pretty good but I cannot make out anything pest wise.

Nate, did you dip and do you have any dip? What kind?

How long had those zoas been in there doing OK before closing/melting?

Triple checked on salinity? What salt mix?

Tank looks pretty clean. You have PO4, how about a little Nitrate?

This is a goofy long shot, but you could try dosing a small amount of Lugol's iodine just in case it is depleted. I sent an ICP test when a few things (gonio, zoa, duncan) were looking off. Had zero Iodine while my salt says it has .06. Perked right up after the dose. Will be an ongoing weekly task going forward.

That pace of loss, I'd order up an ICP test pronto. And dip for pests.

Sorry for the troubles. Hang in.
The zoas have been looking great for about 10 months prior. I use the instant ocean reef salt. Salinity is 1.025. I moved 2 of the zoa frags into a different system and they’re slowly starting to come back. I will probably send in for a ICP test. Thanks.

bobonakamoto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are new and you were moving it around and constantly messing with the tank , light and flow mostly, that will super stress them out.

OP
OP
Nate_Krohn

Nate_Krohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have hermit crabs or any type of crabs in your tank? Also, have you taken a few of these out for a dip in revive (or whatever you use)?
I have some blue leg hermits and an arrow crab. I’ve taken every frag out and dipped them but wasn’t able to take out the larger colonies

Drysea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea water test away won’t hurt might be the problem, but if they disappear fast makes me think pest.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The zoas have been looking great for about 10 months prior. I use the instant ocean reef salt. Salinity is 1.025. I moved 2 of the zoa frags into a different system and they’re slowly starting to come back. I will probably send in for a ICP test. Thanks.
Iodide was my issue.

Kaylajo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea water test away won’t hurt might be the problem, but if they disappear fast makes me think pest.
I also own the tank and the thing is that we had 6 colonies/frags close up and melt at the same exact time. And from that point on it has killed off palys from youngest to oldest in the tank and they die within hours. We are now left with our first ever palythoa and now our new(er) torch is dying. In the past month and a half we have lost 14 zoas and 6 palys extremely fast but everything else is thriving (elegance, Duncan, feather duster, SPS’s, fish, etc)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also own the tank and the thing is that we had 6 colonies/frags close up and melt at the same exact time. And from that point on it has killed off palys from youngest to oldest in the tank and they die within hours. We are now left with our first ever palythoa and now our new(er) torch is dying. In the past month and a half we have lost 14 zoas and 6 palys extremely fast but everything else is thriving (elegance, Duncan, feather duster, SPS’s, fish, etc)
It could be that one of the other corals is putting out something (toxin wise) thats harming your zoos. Where did you get your corals from - an LFS - overnight etc?

Kaylajo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be that one of the other corals is putting out something (toxin wise) thats harming your zoos. Where did you get your corals from - an LFS - overnight etc?
All corals came from a LFS, and have been fine up until this all started. It was seriously overnight all the “baby” frags melted then it escalated to this

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 90 42.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 106 49.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.3%
Back