Corals in slumped state after 3-day blackout

leonardomanzano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having a battle with dinos for a while, it has been a lot of manual removal and dosing nitrates, phosphates and silica for a while.

I started a 3 day blackout with a UV sterilizer connected to my display tank. (20 Gallon long, UV is a Turbo twist 12X)
On the first day of the blackout my nepthea coral practically fell down. The other nepthea next to it did it as well the following day as did one of my toadstools.
My xenia coral has been pretty much unhappy but it is a bit active.

My other softies and LPS seem to be doing okay post-blackout.
It has now been 2 days since the blackout finished.
While the visible dinos are mostly gone I am left with some detritus and some GHA.

My main concern now is wondering if I should leave the corals alone for a few more days or if I should start thinking about fragging them in case they get worse.

aside from adding a UV I also added a carbon reactor to the tank on day 2.
I added it to deal with the toxins the Dinos (Ostereopsis) were possibly releasing after dying.
I'm not sure if that was the cause for the slumped corals on day 1.
But if the toxins were the cause will to corals bounce back up or will they be deformed for a wile?

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As i cannot help with the nepthea, my toadstool coral was deflated because of the dino toxins for awhile, (my toadstools perked up instantly after the blackout) i assume that it should perk up after the toxins are removed. i dont know if this is the same with you, but my toadstools were shedding there skin due to the toxins, are yours doing that?

OP
OP
leonardomanzano

leonardomanzano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As i cannot help with the nepthea, my toadstool coral was deflated because of the dino toxins for awhile, (my toadstools perked up instantly after the blackout) i assume that it should perk up after the toxins are removed. i dont know if this is the same with you, but my toadstools were shedding there skin due to the toxins, are yours doing that?
The one that is deflated doesn't seem to be shedding as it has its polyps out.
The other toadstool that wasn't affected by the blackout is shedding though
Hopefully over the next few days they get better otherwise I will need to think about fragging them.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why would you frag them? my leathers were deflated after my blackout, but got better quite quickly. as for the shedding, how long has it been shedding? it could just be its normal cycle as well, mine lost quite a lot of skin and didnt stop shedding for while

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back