coris wrass brused black

Jsieger89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coris wrass has been in tank 4"3 months. Added 3 months ago with sbanana wrass and every thing has been fine until 2 days ago when I noticed it was buried in sand with a tiny portion of his tail showing... I left him be and this moarning I noticed half his body hanging out the sand and I thought he was dead. When I went to scoop him out he poped back to life and buried him self back in sand. I left him be all day until just now when I saw half his head sticking out the sand. The place he is buried the powerhands move the sand around so that's y he is being uncovered. I have him in a peacemaker now and was thinking of freshwater dipping him but once I saw how black his body was I had no clue what may be going on with this guy. any help would be appreciated. Not sure he has mutch longer to make it.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't have worried too much about him having parts of his body sticking out of the sand. But the black on the body.... can you get a picture for us?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't have worried too much about him having parts of his body sticking out of the sand. But the black on the body.... can you get a picture for us?
X2 this is pretty normal behavior :)

OP
OP
Jsieger89

Jsieger89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fully understand it's normal behavior for wrasses to berry in the sand but the way this fish was half hanging out of the sand was not normal. I'm not a rookie and have been in this hobby for almost 6 years and this fish is not acting right. I was abel to corner him with my hand and catch him with a net.... somthing is wrong with this fish

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fully understand it's normal behavior for wrasses to berry in the sand but the way this fish was half hanging out of the sand was not normal. I'm not a rookie and have been in this hobby for almost 6 years and this fish is not acting right. I was abel to corner him with my hand and catch him with a net.... somthing is wrong with this fish

We can only go off of what you write, so the half in half out thing is pretty normal behavior... not like all the time, but it happens. We don't doubt there is something wrong though, because you are the only one of us that can see him and his behavior. That's why we want the picture, so we can see. A video would be awesome if you could swing it. Any other info that would be relevant is awesome too. Anything to add to the picture so we can see what you see and help in any way possible.

OP
OP
Jsieger89

Jsieger89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hope these pictures help, the only other thing to add is that the banana wrass I added at the same time has always flashed against rocks, no signs of ick so I hmthought he may have Gil fluke but that was just a guess, the banana wrass is doing fine thow the other 9 fish are doing fine. Only the coris is doing bad, currently upside down breathing super heavy. Should I fresh water dip?

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So hope these pictures help, the only other thing to add is that the banana wrass I added at the same time has always flashed against rocks, no signs of ick so I hmthought he may have Gil fluke but that was just a guess, the banana wrass is doing fine thow the other 9 fish are doing fine. Only the coris is doing bad, currently upside down breathing super heavy. Should I fresh water dip?

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

Hmm. I was hoping for a picture of him still in the water. Taking them out of the water isn't easy on the fish and tends to distort what we might see on him if he was still in the water. He's not dead? Have you seen any white stringy poop from him at all?

OP
OP
Jsieger89

Jsieger89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also took a video before I took the fish out but it won't upload. U can text 9407361824 and I'll send you video

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a freshwater dip might do some good, but I'm not sure he would survive it. It would at least tell us if flukes are present. Wrasses tend to carry worms like flukes and intestinal worms. This guy seems to have something in his gills causing him difficulty in breathing at a minimum. @Humblefish

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lethargic behavior is concerning. But being half buried is pretty normal.

The coloration looks like it is transitioning. If it didn't have the darker coloration before, then it would look to be reverting back to female coloration. If it is reverting back, then it is likely being bullied/intimidated, probably by the banana wrasse.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%

Back