Could I put GFO in my Top off water?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
careful w baby water ,some brands contain fluoride.
Do we know which brands? Don’t see anything on this label nor the CVS brand.

I’ll just switch back to regular distilled. Not worth the risk until confirming it doesn’t.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested it and it checked off as zero TDS. Noticed it said minerals added but either my meter is off or it’s too small to detect. I’ve tested my meter against calibration solution and it passed.

Has anyone done ICP on it to confirm what it actually has or just dismissed it because it’s brewed for babies?

TDS won't catch all the minerals. It can show 0 with stuff added. Hobby grade stuff. I doubt it is harmful.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use distilled and sometimes RO. I did it for years. Some people even use tap and have nice tanks. I would say this isn't correct that a person needs to 're-consider this hobby'.
Agreed. Sometimes the hobby just parrots others without considering all tap is not the same. I’m going to use mine once I setup the ultrafiltration and what do people think we used in the 80s

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDS won't catch all the minerals. It can show 0 with stuff added. Hobby grade stuff. I doubt it is harmful.
I notice lots of jargon on fluoride yet I believe to some extent corals need it. Plus I don’t think fluoride added to baby distilled of the magnitude added to municipal tap but further research is needed.

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test the PO4 in your tank. It's possible your RO is no problem at all. If it isn't broken? Happy corals and no major algae issues?
I’m running GFO in my tank right now to lower my phosphate. It was .61 and now down to about .3. I use Hanna ULR (brand new). I do have an algae problem, and it is due to my phosphates, that’s the main reason why I had posted this thread. I don’t want to add extra Po4 to the tank.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
correct ,just compiling ,put and take,
waste of time ,money ,and work ,
stick with distilled,just don't bottom out phosphate.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use distilled and sometimes RO. I did it for years. Some people even use tap and have nice tanks. I would say this isn't correct that a person needs to 're-consider this hobby'.
True that i used distilled water and water stations you fill up your own bottles for years, I was keeping softies and fish no problem, I'd say maybe not hard sps and crazy Instagram tanks, but there's definitely allot of diffrent seats on the buss and everyone can sit in one!

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You beat me to it ;)

In this hobby there are many ways to be successful (each according to their situation/needs).

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research Parent’s Choice and supposedly it doesn’t have fluoride but does have minerals in the form of calcium, magnesium and potassium. Im pretty sure I can use that. I’m going to call the company Monday as they provide a water report and I can confirm no fluoride or to what extent. Assuming less than NSW then I’m going to continue using it. Does apparently have 10 TDS which means I’m due for a better quality meter. Ordering HM Digital COM-100.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F3E0C24B-819F-4F7B-AB62-E204A8C2D8E4.png

I’m considering something like this for my kitchen. We drink a lot of water and this makes about three gallons daily. Pricey but for those unable to run RODI it beats having to run out and buy water. Plus I don’t need to store it and doesn’t get much purer than distilled.

Larger units are available but one does need to weight the cost vs practicality and convenience as well as other uses such as drinking water for non-fish (humans)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 16.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back