Couple of Questions on Water Change in Ceiling

Dotterer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks - I have my 125 and 55 sump about 30 feet away from my water changing station in the basement. It's also on the other side of the basement stairs. Right now, I drag out hoses, and drop a pump into the sump, pump out water, and then flip the hose and drop the pump into the salt can, and replace it. It's much better than buckets, of course, but I always seem to make a mess with water leaking out of lines, the quick connects, etc..

I'd love to be able to plumb in something to make water changes a lot less messy. There's a drop ceiling in the basement, so I figure, why not putz around and make something more permanent.

A couple questions:

1. What should I use in the walls? Obviously, Hard PVC would be great, but hard to get PVC inside the wall cavity. Is tubing OK in the wall?
  2. What kind of pump do I need? (Assuming one in the sump, and one in the water change area). They're not going to be on long, so don't have to be quiet, but do need to go up 10 feet, over 30, and back down again.
  3. How do I prevent a siphon, without having water spray out the siphon-breaking hole. In an ideal world, I'd actually have the pipe/hose come back down to floor level and then up again to drop in to the sump. (The drain isn't an issue, I can just have it drop into a larger diameter pipe up higher).
Any ideas, thoughts, would be really appreciated!

Thanks,

sd

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do pex, but it's almost as stiff as pvc at 1", 3/4" might work, but the hard part is getting the plastic fittings instead of brass. You could do flex pvc (better idea) , like they use for pools, glues up just like regular pvc. Just make sure to fasten it so it doesn't rub over time.

I have a couple ball valves that I flip to first suck water to the drain sink, then use the same pump to push water to the tank, works great.

IMG_20161017_204612.jpg

ReeferNoob77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reinforced vinyl tubing get the inner diameter the same size as the barb fittings you get from bulkreef.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back