Cow fish releasing toxins, true or false?

BaileyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired a scrawled cow fish, and have read many posts saying cow fish release toxins that will crash your tank, and others that say they won’t. Some people have had them die in their tanks and not have any affects. My question is, where does this myth originate from? Why has this claim been passed around the community? Reading people say their cow fish dying didn’t do anything to the tank makes me feel much better about mine, but scared to risk thousands in fish. What’s your take? Let me hear it!

OP
OP
BaileyB

BaileyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are like puffers if you stress them enough they will release toxins. The good news is this is VERY hard to do. Just be aware that this is a possibility and you will be fine.
so do you think this myth of them “crashing a tank when they die” came more from fish being stressed to the point of death? And it was the initial stress that nuked the tank, not the death of the fish?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are like puffers if you stress them enough they will release toxins. The good news is this is VERY hard to do. Just be aware that this is a possibility and you will be fine.
What hudu said.
You basically have to corner them, try to squish them and get them to about death for them to release toxins.

it is a last effort for the fish. They would prefer not to do it if they do not have to.

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The myth even spread to my lfs. He said if it’s dead remove it ASAP due to toxins

I’m far from being an expert but let’s say, if you didn’t notice it’s dead and it’s in the tank for like 5-10 days without you noticing it died (not from stress), would it still release the toxins as the fish is decomposing? (Kind of like when humans poop their pants when they die)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The myth even spread to my lfs. He said if it’s dead remove it ASAP.

I’m far from being an expert but let’s say, if you didn’t notice it’s dead and it’s in the tank for like 5-10 days without you noticing it died (not from stress), would it still release the toxins as the fish is decomposing? (Kind of like when humans poop their pants when they die)
i don't believe so ,if not killed,more of an ammonia issue to remove asap..jmo.. ;)

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The myth even spread to my lfs. He said if it’s dead remove it ASAP.

I would assume so. It wouldn’t be all at once though. It would be a very little bit over the course of decomposition. The toxicity more than likely would not be high enough at any point to do any harm. Plus if you had carbon, it would absorb the toxins as they are released.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back