Crab Fight Club?

G&B Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Let me start with I am kinda new to the hobby (1yr) and am constantly entertained by all the things I observe in the tank.

I was watching today over my lunch break and noticed three blue leg hermit crabs duking it out over a fourth. The fourth seemed a bit smaller than the other three and was hiding the entire time in its shell. My assumption is that the three crabs are fighting for the right to mate with the fourth. These guys were at it for well over an hr and they fight dirty!!! My question is how easily to blue leg hermit crabs reproduce and am I about to get overrun with tiny blue leg crabs everywhere???

Also, actually got a good look at one of the fighters and noticed his two main front claws were vastly different in size (Unlike the others whose two main claws are about the same size). It got me thinking, if they loose a claw can it grow back?

Pic below shows the cage match. Was right up against the front glass making this easy to watch!
2F2DE885-6DA8-4B29-8665-684D429A51A9.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is how easily to blue leg hermit crabs reproduce and am I about to get overrun with tiny blue leg crabs everywhere???
They mate/spawn easily, but the odds of any of the larvae surviving in your tank to settlement (when they turn into mini adults) are astronomically low (to the point of being virtually nonexistent).

So, no, you won't be overrun by baby hermits.
if they loose a claw can it grow back?
Yes, they can regrow claws over a few molts with enough good food and water quality.

OP
OP
G&B Reefing

G&B Reefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info! I was worried b/c my nassarius snails successfully reproduced twice and i have two dozen little ones cruising the sand now. Was thinking the crabs might do the same!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info! I was worried b/c my nassarius snails successfully reproduced twice and i have two dozen little ones cruising the sand now. Was thinking the crabs might do the same!
Haha, nope - the hermits hatch as pelagic/planktonic (swimming) larvae, and pelagic larvae don't generally survive at all in our tanks.

If your Nassarius snails reproduced, then the Nassarius species you have is likely one with benthic (walking/crawling) larvae (which are basically mini adults at birth) - benthic larvae are typically able to survive just find in our tanks.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen my hermits brawl over just about everything! My halloween is down right evil when he wants something another one of the crabs has lol. Dude is huge!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back