OP
CessnaMedic

CessnaMedic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What died first? I think I might have an idea

First it was a green chromis and (maybe a hermit or two) I dk which was FIRST but hermits were some of the first to go. Followed by closed corals, then a anthia died, gsp finally closed, then the other anthia died and my hammer corals, Zoas and GSP all closed forever. Then just a day ago my anemone was the last victim of this heinous infiltrate.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I am sorry you are having this problem(s). This is the welcome forum. We need to get this thread moved to the approprate forum so you can get more eyes on your thread!

@Crabs McJones @dbl @kschweer Can you move this thread

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When's the last time you checked ammonia? You said PH was two weeks old, the test results I mean.

I'm wondering if you had an ammonia spike when you had the first deaths? I can't see what your surface agitation looks like, but maybe oxygen was an issue? Coraline being an algae, I imagine it also uses oxygen..if you get what I'm going for.

But, maybe PH was a little off, you had an ammonia spike from something dieing for whatever reason, and the Jenga tower came down after it one by one.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When's the last time you checked ammonia? You said PH was two weeks old, the test results I mean.

I'm wondering if you had an ammonia spike when you had the first deaths? I can't see what your surface agitation looks like, but maybe oxygen was an issue? Coraline being an algae, I imagine it also uses oxygen..if you get what I'm going for.

But, maybe PH was a little off, you had an ammonia spike from something dieing for whatever reason, and the Jenga tower came down after it one by one.

Ammonia by itself can be bad, but if your PH is off too..even for a little bit..

MightyMO

"The Algae made me do it!!!"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy all! Until today I have been using this forum as a read only have have not participated! I mean after all I think every topic under our artificial suns have been discussed! I finally bit the bullet and started this account because the tank beneath my artificial sun is not doing well! o_O In the past week I have lost three fish, all my Zoas, my anemone, GSP (yes really GSP) about 1/2 of my cleanup crew: emerald crabs, hermits, snails, and all the Coraline that is growing on the back wall is losing its color. I have not been doing anything different. All parameters are within check and I have mailed in and am awaiting the test results of a mail in ICP Aquarium test manufactured and tested by ATI. I do water changes every week using Coral Pro reef salts and I ensure the salinity of the salt matches the salinity of my tank. This past week I have done 20% water changes every 3 days working on replacing all the water in my tank with fresh water. ANY comments or ideas would be great! I am a Powder Brown tang away from tossing the whole tank and starting anew.

Test Results as of today 7/19 using Red Sea Test Kits
- Calcium - 480
- Magnesium - 1360
- Salinity - 1.025
- Nitrate - 0.04
- Phosphate - 0.25
- pH - 8.0 (two weeks old I am out of pH tests)
- dKh - 8.4
Your parameters look better than mine... idk

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, to explain fully.

Low surface agitation, bring down oxygen and just as important messes with your pH.
It gets acidic enough that whatever was not as healthy as the rest of the tank died, created ammonia spike.

Beneficial bacterial die offs. More acid, more deaths. Water changes, replenishs oxygen, stablizes pH, rids ammonia, etc.

Doesn't fix the issue, but I'm betting that's probably what happened if the ICP comes back "clean".

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there,

your p04 is a bit high but I have seen worse with less death then you exsplain so personally I would agree with the posts above- start with stray voltage and/or contaminants. Could be a rusty screw learust into system or something along those lines.
I would run carbon until you get your Icp results.

it’s a bummer man, but don’t get discouraged. Once you identify and correct the issue you will be a better reefer with broader knowledge then before - so coincided this a learning lesson that you WILL over come and come out the other side with I bit more insight into your tank.
Good luck and please keep is updated.
Take care my friend

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
low oxygen..poss canister fouled out,ammo spike??

Back