Crazy amount of noise from pumps

Brian Kracht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am not sure if I should have posted this in the newbie section, so I apologize if I should have. I also did a quick search and nothing jumped out at me as an answer.

I have two Hydor Koralia Nano 452 GPH pumps that I planned to use for my 29 gallon tank set up. Although it will be a while (6 or so months) until I will start setting it up, I wanted to check the pumps now to make sure they worked in case I needed to return them. So, I plugged them into the Hydor Controller and everything worked fine except the insane amount of noise it made. I understand these are not high end pumps, but there is no way this amount of noise is acceptable or something anyone could listen to daily.

I then plugged in a Koralia Evolution pump which I have one of to just see the comparison, and although it is still somewhat loud, I did not have it mounted and I found the noise level acceptable at least. The reason I want the Nano pumps instead of the Evolution is obviously the space savings in such a small tank.

I have a video I uploaded to YouTube to help with this, but do I need to return these pumps? Is this way louder than normal? I didn't play the noise for both nano pumps as they sounded the same. I appreciate any input.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Brian Kracht

Brian Kracht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I just plugged it in. I did the same with the bigger pump also. Is there typically something in the impeller that I am supposed to remove?

Back