Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 76 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 44 23.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

It is important to have a good foundation for your reef. While that statement applies to having a good foundation of knowledge, foundation for your aquascape, and foundation of knowledge, what I am getting at right now is where your tank is sitting. The floor where your tank is placed is an important consideration and similarly it may also be important to consider the need for potential floor support. When you set up your aquarium – especially if it was a big tank – did you consider floor support for your reef tank? Please share any tips to think about as well as any steps that you took if you added floor support.

Striike_FloorSupport.jpeg

Photo by @Striike

If you are unsure of whether you need floor support, please take a look at the R2R article entitled: “Do I need floor supporting?!?”.

TCKBanner.png

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tckcorals.com

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mean, my tank sits on the house foundation, so no need for additional support. I did consider whether or not the tank was likely to damage my flooring.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to calculate if my basement would hold all of the water if the tank broke and if my ceiling would hold the weigh of the light fixture. Turns out I don't have a basement so I put the tank in the garage.

Who else voted other?

Calculate Figure It Out GIF

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added floor support, but since my floor joists are strong enough to support the weight by themselves, I just added a 4x6 crossbeam between the joists, supported by two metal supports capable of 5000 pounds each. That's 3 times the weight of the tank. All that's needed is enough support to prevent any deflection caused by the tank above. Most people over-engineer things, but it can't hurt.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also on a cement slab foundation and am lucky enough to see the house built from the ground up. They did add extra rebar in the room that the tank sits in. I have probably 500 gallons plus the weight of the tank (3/4 inch glass) and metal stand.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My new house is concrete

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 floor joists running perpendicular to my Reefer 625 and another 4 joists running perpendicular to my 240 gal FOWLR. Both with some seriously thick steel I beams nearby.

So far, no issues. Never have really worried about it, but I do worry about tank seams.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be foolish to not consider it for a big tank. Doesn’t mean any mitigation is required of course. It is also not just whether the floor can hold the weight, but whether deflection or floor ‘bounce’ could put strain on the tank seams. Two jack posts under my 120.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back