Creating iOS Application for Tracking Parameters - Need Your Help!

Nick Kohrn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am creating an iOS application that allows you to track your water parameters and other aspects of the hobby. I need your help, though. I have gathered a list of parameters that I have seen be measured regularly in the hobby, but I doubt that I have everything that some of you may want. I want you to let me know what I have missed so that I don't leave anything out for you!

Let me know if you want anything added! There is a search feature in the application for the list, making it a breeze to find what you're looking for! I want to build something that suits the needs of hobbyists and professionals.

I really appreciate your time and help!

• Alkalinity (Alk)
  • Aluminum (Al)
  • Ammonia (NH3)
  • Antimony (Sb)
  • Arsenic (As)
  • Barium (Ba)
  • Beryllium (Be)
  • Boron (B)
  • Bromine (Br)
  • Cadmium (Cd)
  • Calcium (Ca)
  • Chromium (Cr)
  • Chloramine (NH2Cl)
  • Chlorine (Free) (Cl)
  • Chlorine (Total) (Cl)
  • Cobalt (Co)
  • Copper (Cu)
  • Iodine (I)
  • Iron (Fe)
  • Lead (Pb)
  • Lithium (Li)
  • Magnesium (Mg)
  • Manganese (Mn)
  • Mercury (Hg)
  • Molybdenum (Mo)
  • Nickel (Ni)
  • Nitrate (NO3)
  • Nitrite (NO2)
  • Oxidation Reduction Potential (ORP)
  • Oxygen (02)
  • pH
  • Phosphate (PO4)
  • Phosphorus (P)
  • Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR)
  • Potassium (K)
  • Salinity
  • Scandium (Sc)
  • Selenium (Se)
  • Silicate (Si)
  • Silicon (Si)
  • Sodium (Na)
  • Strontium (Sr)
  • Sulfur (S)
  • Temperature
  • Tin (Sn)
  • Titanium (Ti)
  • Total Dissolved Solids (TDS)
  • Tungsten (W)
  • Vanadium (V)
  • Zinc (Zn)
* The parameters above contain the name of the parameter as well as their abbreviation or symbol, if appropriate. The units that they are measured in are not listed in this post.

blacktippr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am creating an iOS application that allows you to track your water parameters and other aspects of the hobby. I need your help, though. I have gathered a list of parameters that I have seen be measured regularly in the hobby, but I doubt that I have everything that some of you may want. I want you to let me know what I have missed so that I don't leave anything out for you!

Let me know if you want anything added! There is a search feature in the application for the list, making it a breeze to find what you're looking for! I want to build something that suits the needs of hobbyists and professionals.

I really appreciate your time and help!

• Alkalinity (Alk)
  • Aluminum (Al)
  • Ammonia (NH3)
  • Antimony (Sb)
  • Arsenic (As)
  • Barium (Ba)
  • Beryllium (Be)
  • Boron (B)
  • Bromine (Br)
  • Cadmium (Cd)
  • Calcium (Ca)
  • Chromium (Cr)
  • Chloramine (NH2Cl)
  • Chlorine (Free) (Cl)
  • Chlorine (Total) (Cl)
  • Cobalt (Co)
  • Copper (Cu)
  • Iodine (I)
  • Iron (Fe)
  • Lead (Pb)
  • Lithium (Li)
  • Magnesium (Mg)
  • Manganese (Mn)
  • Mercury (Hg)
  • Molybdenum (Mo)
  • Nickel (Ni)
  • Nitrate (NO3)
  • Nitrite (NO2)
  • Oxidation Reduction Potential (ORP)
  • Oxygen (02)
  • pH
  • Phosphate (PO4)
  • Phosphorus (P)
  • Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR)
  • Potassium (K)
  • Salinity
  • Scandium (Sc)
  • Selenium (Se)
  • Silicate (Si)
  • Silicon (Si)
  • Sodium (Na)
  • Strontium (Sr)
  • Sulfur (S)
  • Temperature
  • Tin (Sn)
  • Titanium (Ti)
  • Total Dissolved Solids (TDS)
  • Tungsten (W)
  • Vanadium (V)
  • Zinc (Zn)
* The parameters above contain the name of the parameter as well as their abbreviation or symbol, if appropriate. The units that they are measured in are not listed in this post.

You aré MISSING money spent.
And ticked off Wife.

fab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lux
PUR

Controls and device states
E.g
each Heater ON|OFF
Each Light ON|OFF and color & intensity setting
Each Pump ON|OFF and speed & % power setting
Each CO2 regulator for dosing and bubble rate
Each fluidizing reactor & flow rate
Each liquid level sensor state
Each flow rate sensor reading
Each of all other devices' state and performance data
CO2 tank weight, tare weight, and contents weight

Events such as water changes, livestock additions and removals, medications, treatments, diseases, observations of critter condition and equipment condition, feedings, spawnings, outbreaks, infestations and general notes.

Voltages and currents (e.g. I keep voltmeters and an ammeters connected at various places in my system to monitor for undesired voltages and currents. E.g., between tank water and ground.

Be sure to allow users to identify which tank or location is associated with each measurement, sensor or device.

fab

OP
OP
Nick Kohrn

Nick Kohrn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lux
PUR

Controls and device states
E.g
each Heater ON|OFF
Each Light ON|OFF and color & intensity setting
Each Pump ON|OFF and speed & % power setting
Each CO2 regulator for dosing and bubble rate
Each fluidizing reactor & flow rate
Each liquid level sensor state
Each flow rate sensor reading
Each of all other devices' state and performance data
CO2 tank weight, tare weight, and contents weight

Events such as water changes, livestock additions and removals, medications, treatments, diseases, observations of critter condition and equipment condition, feedings, spawnings, outbreaks, infestations and general notes.

Voltages and currents (e.g. I keep voltmeters and an ammeters connected at various places in my system to monitor for undesired voltages and currents. E.g., between tank water and ground.

Be sure to allow users to identify which tank or location is associated with each measurement, sensor or device.

fab

This is fantastic! I'm definitely adding the ability to add and specify which system measurements and actions are being logged for.

I appreciate your suggestions!

OP
OP
Nick Kohrn

Nick Kohrn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started working on the part of the application where you will create a new system to save. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how you name your system? Would you prefer to just enter a name for the system and then move on to things like volume, etc., or would you like to select from a list of types of systems, such as ATO Container, Water Mixing Container, Display System, and then add a description and other attributes to the system? I want to find out what would be easiest and more user-friendly.

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides what is already on the shopping list I feel the need to record for graphical comparison the dosing amounts. Also take notes about GFO change and quantities events.
I prefer to enter a name and select from a pre-build list provided there is a others item... One nice feature would be a possibility for taking pictures and attach to the items. I'm thinking the invoices and receipts I keep at my wallet/desk/computer.
Hope it helped...

OP
OP
Nick Kohrn

Nick Kohrn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides what is already on the shopping list I feel the need to record for graphical comparison the dosing amounts. Also take notes about GFO change and quantities events.
I prefer to enter a name and select from a pre-build list provided there is a others item... One nice feature would be a possibility for taking pictures and attach to the items. I'm thinking the invoices and receipts I keep at my wallet/desk/computer.
Hope it helped...

That has definitely helped! I want to make the application something that is useful, and your ideas are helping it be just that! Thank you!

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And please allow the user to customize some favorites entries. I hate to have to go thru a long list of parameters just to register the PO4 value after testing it. A screen with large buttons for the 3-4 most used would be good. You could call it a One Touch Entry. Following the ETO approach other interesting feature could be a pic journal. You just touch a button and take a picture for the journal. After a slideshow (with export capabilities) feature could also be interesting.
I don't have a lot of spare time, but If you need a beta user feel free.

OP
OP
Nick Kohrn

Nick Kohrn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And please allow the user to customize some favorites entries. I hate to have to go thru a long list of parameters just to register the PO4 value after testing it. A screen with large buttons for the 3-4 most used would be good. You could call it a One Touch Entry. Following the ETO approach other interesting feature could be a pic journal. You just touch a button and take a picture for the journal. After a slideshow (with export capabilities) feature could also be interesting.
I don't have a lot of spare time, but If you need a beta user feel free.

Thank you for the suggestions! I like the idea of having easy access to your favorite entries. I will definitely keep that in mind as I progress through the mockup phase. I appreciate your time and thoughts!

OP
OP
Nick Kohrn

Nick Kohrn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to selecting units of measurement, as an example, for alkalinity, would you prefer to select your preferred unit of measurement (dKH, meq/L, ppm) and then those measurements always show in those units? This would make any graphing comparisons easier. Having to convert between units of measurement for items such as salinity (ppt, SG) can be tricky because it has to take temperature into consideration.

Want to know how you would like to select what units of measurement you want to use for your units that have multiple units to choose from.

david p.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i knwo people mentionned to add like dates for GFO, carbon... something with maintenance schedule with be nice too. AND to have the ability to have Reminders or Alarms like 'time to change GFO', '6month maintenance overdue', via email or a calendar with pop-up. could also be, your testing schedule, monthly testing, etc..

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the units of measurement:
IMO to have a settings/configuration area where i could define the units for every parameter and i don't feel the need for automatic conversions. Whenever i adopt a unit i stick with it. Don't recall if has been mentioned, a export/share data sheets with pdf/xls functionality would be good.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back