Crinoid & Basket Starfish Owners

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i've been searching up stuff on Basket stars and Crinoids (Feather Stars) and the only people i've found are from 4 or more years ago. Does anyone keep one, if so can you share your tips/care techniques with me and maybe post a picture of your system and your Crinoid or Basket Star.

OP
OP
Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2ea51d3071a98b78c3b0be56273067fe.jpg
here’s mine, i feed a mixture of Brightwell Blizzard - O and Marine Snow and mix it up and then broadcast feed at night

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you know what kind you have, then I would try to find gut analysis on that particular one. From that analysis, you can find the micron size they prefer and feed to that.
Here's some brightwell info:
8DDC942E-9A88-4455-965D-4F57E5E52DD7.png

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bumped into this and thought of you. You can also get more concentrated mixtures from Reed Mariculture.

Also, @Reef Nutrition is knowledgeable, helpful and often pop up on my "build" thread. Also would y'all mind linking to your phytoplankton thread? I'm having trouble finding it
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/feeding-crinoids.296666/
i'll be sure to try the Reed Mariculture products, From my knowledge my crinoid species likes food particles up in the 100 micron range so i don't think phytoplankton will help. I will try the Roti-Feast as it's just dead L-Type Rotifers. Thanks for the suggestions ;)

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which thread are you interested in? All of them are here: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-nutrition.921/

Chad
Got it, thanks. I was looking for the word phyto, but phyto is an algae so it makes sense why I was having trouble. Thanks again

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/algae-education.296530/
From my knowledge my crinoid species likes food particles up in the 100 micron range so i don't think phytoplankton will help

all I can say is I don't know. If your research and observations of feeding responses shows that's what he's eating. Then go with it. Keep us updated

Edit: since you know the size he eats, also look at golden pearls. You can get them in an array of sizes and it lets you hone in on micron sizes. It's one of the few things I fed in my tank

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01H...dpPl=1&dpID=618gEh6wozL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Chad ,

How often do you propose feeding reef nutrition rotifers and phyto to crinoids and nps gorgs ? Am trying with 2-3 times a day but think need to up it . Also will oyester feast be a great compliment to these foods ?

Regards,
Abhishek

The best thing is to feed small amounts, multiple times daily. This method ensures that the food is getting consumed by the animals before it's removed via filtration. Oyster-Feast would be a great addition to the diet. I'm no expert on these animals, so take it slow with the our products, increasing dosage slowly over time.

Hope this helps!

Chad

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing is to feed small amounts, multiple times daily. This method ensures that the food is getting consumed by the animals before it's removed via filtration. Oyster-Feast would be a great addition to the diet. I'm no expert on these animals, so take it slow with the our products, increasing dosage slowly over time.

Hope this helps!

Chad

Honestly , am yet to come across a food that's as amazing as reef nutrition especially for nps . This is the first time am able to keep my nps living for over 4-5 months . Wish I could find bigger bottles ...

Regards,
Abhishek

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly , am yet to come across a food that's as amazing as reef nutrition especially for nps . This is the first time am able to keep my nps living for over 4-5 months . Wish I could find bigger bottles ...

Regards,
Abhishek
Look at reed mariculture. Same parent company and more concentrated blends

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regards,
Abhishek

Ask your LFS for larger sizes. We sell our products in 16oz. and 32oz. sizes. Our retailers will tag on any special items you need. Thanks for your support and we are always glad to hear our nutrition keeps your animals alive and well.

Chad

OP
OP
Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Chad ,

How often do you propose feeding reef nutrition rotifers and phyto to crinoids and nps gorgs ? Am trying with 2-3 times a day but think need to up it . Also will oyester feast be a great compliment to these foods ?

Regards,
Abhishek
do you have a crinoid?? or just the NPS gorgs, I find a mixture of Two Little Fishes Marine Snow and Brightwell Aquatics Reef Blizzard-O gets me good growth with my NPS Gorgs and Crinoid

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a crinoid?? or just the NPS gorgs, I find a mixture of Two Little Fishes Marine Snow and Brightwell Aquatics Reef Blizzard-O gets me good growth with my NPS Gorgs and Crinoid

We don't have any in our office tank. My recommendations are based on customer feedback. We actually have non-photosynthetic bivalves in our tank. Kind of a bivalve nut!

OOPS. Thought you were talking to me. LOL

Chad

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do but things aren't that great with only 3 feedings a day . I shall look into your suggestions .

OP
OP
Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do but things aren't that great with only 3 feedings a day . I shall look into your suggestions .
any pictures so i can identify the species? i'll be happy to help as i've wasted about $200:eek: looking for the right feed for my crinoids and can steer you away from the products that don't work ;)

OP
OP
Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We don't have any in our office tank. My recommendations are based on customer feedback. We actually have non-photosynthetic bivalves in our tank. Kind of a bivalve nut!

OOPS. Thought you were talking to me. LOL

Chad
what micron size is Roti-Feast? I want to try it

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Brachionus plicatilis, L-Type rotifers in Roti-Feast range from 40 to 275µm, with an average size of 160µm. There are eggs and newly hatched rotifers in the product as well, so those will be smaller. All of the rotifers are fully enriched before bottling. There are roughly 5 million, fully intact animals and eggs in the 6oz. bottle. http://reefnutrition.com/roti_feast.php

Let me know how it goes if you give the product a try.

Chad

OP
OP
Kamden Uelton

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Brachionus plicatilis, L-Type rotifers in Roti-Feast range from 40 to 275µm, with an average size of 160µm. There are eggs and newly hatched rotifers in the product as well, so those will be smaller. All of the rotifers are fully enriched before bottling. There are roughly 5 million, fully intact animals and eggs in the 6oz. bottle. http://reefnutrition.com/roti_feast.php

Let me know how it goes if you give the product a try.

Chad
do you guys do samples? ;)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 45.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 48 32.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 21 14.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back