Critter I’d please

scrappy35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kp live rock came in and I got 2 baby pistol shrimp, 2 crabs that were in the water a baby mantis. Need help with id of the crabs. The base rock is awesome. Wish I had another 20lbs now.

IMG_3214.jpeg IMG_3215.jpeg IMG_3217.jpeg IMG_3216.jpeg IMG_3213.jpeg IMG_3219.jpeg IMG_3218.jpeg IMG_3220.jpeg

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a female ruby mithrax crab to me. They are basically the same as an emerald crab.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Claws look small to me.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the berries shrimp! Not sure if any babies can survive and grow up in tanks
You'd need a simple larval rearing tank (a small tank with an airline), some feeders for the larvae (I'd need to look at the links on my computer since I don't have them on my phone to see what pistol shrimp take, but typically the feeders used are copepods, Artemia [Brine Shrimp], and/or rotifers), and some phytoplankton to culture the feeders.
Here's my advice for this - a quick summary, then the more detailed stuff:

-Setup a little, simple tank.
(The larval rearing tank).

-Add the larvae.

-Add the larval food and enough phytoplankton to tint the water green.
(The phytoplankton helps dim the lighting so it's not too bright for sensitive larvae, it makes it easier for the larvae to see the feeders, and it gutloads the feeders so they're more nutritious when eaten).

-Adjust feeding as needed as the larvae grow; you typically should start feeding regular fish food in addition to the larval food around settlement.
Depending on specific circumstances, you may need a heater, lights, and/or specific things (like specific substrates, critters, or algae) to trigger settlement.

Simple larval rearing tank example:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back