Crushed by velvet

FtWBeachCorrigans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well….lost all my livestock to velvet in a day(only three fish). Going to go fallow for 80 days to be extra safe. If you’ve ever gone through this, what have you done with your tank while it was empty? I’m thinking of upgrading lights, adding uv filtration and rearranging my rock scape. My biggest question is can I add coral (softies) while fallow or do I risk reintroducing parasites and having to restart the clock? 20gal aquatop aio cube

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well….lost all my livestock to velvet in a day(only three fish). Going to go fallow for 80 days to be extra safe. If you’ve ever gone through this, what have you done with your tank while it was empty? I’m thinking of upgrading lights, adding uv filtration and rearranging my rock scape. My biggest question is can I add coral (softies) while fallow or do I risk reintroducing parasites and having to restart the clock? 20gal aquatop aio cube
during the fallow, you can clean pumps and skimmer, add liquid bacteria, if algae forms, you CAN safely add snails and cleaner crew as well as coral. Velvet is a flagellate and cannot survive on coral long term
Although you can go 80 days, 4-6 weeks is their life cycle and at 81 degrees, you can speed up the fallow to 45 days but entirely up to you.
UV is not a bad idea as moving forward , you are adding protection against algae and protozoan

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I would do now, is set up a fish and coral QT (2 qt tanks). The coral tank would be bare with no rock and a rack if needed as well as a powerhead. PVC is fine for inverts but no rocks as pests can hide in those easily. Anytime something non-QT enters the tank, you add risk. I probably wouldn't buy a UV.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What I would do now, is set up a fish and coral QT (2 qt tanks). The coral tank would be bare with no rock and a rack if needed as well as a powerhead. PVC is fine for inverts but no rocks as pests can hide in those easily. Anytime something non-QT enters the tank, you add risk. I probably wouldn't buy a UV.
I think it would be fine for you to 'QT' your coral in your fallow display tank - however, if you're planning on routinely adding coral, etc - its not going to hurt to have 2 QT tanks.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not bother with the little UVs made for the AIO tanks. I have one and the UV and it’s not that useful for fish disease due to its size and the fact the bulb needs frequent replacement. It can work on some forms of Dino but very slowly.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I would not bother with the little UVs made for the AIO tanks. I have one and the UV and it’s not that useful for fish disease due to its size and the fact the bulb needs frequent replacement. It can work on some forms of Dino but very slowly.
Must be that Green Machine. I sold mine in 12 days.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be that Green Machine. I sold mine in 12 days.

The IM drop in ones.. might be worse then green machine tbh because it is not even enclosed. They are fine for bacterial blooms or green water but I would not expect them to help with fish disease.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The IM drop in ones.. might be worse then green machine tbh because it is not even enclosed. They are fine for bacterial blooms or green water but I would not expect them to help with fish disease.
Oh yeah, the drop in units as valuable as those drop in filter socks

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be fine for you to 'QT' your coral in your fallow display tank - however, if you're planning on routinely adding coral, etc - its not going to hurt to have 2 QT tanks.

It also help at from pests so that's why I just mentioned the separate tank. :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back