CUC for zoa tank?

Eklikewhoa

Fish Thumper!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in need of something that will move some of the ditritus(sp?) around that settles on some of the LR and sand but have read conflicting reports of the inverts taking a liking to zoas.

Right now I have
2x cerith snails
1x astrea snail
1x dwarf sea hare

I would like to had a small hermit but not sure which one.

If anyone could chime in with their experiences it would be greatly appreciated.

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not a fighting conch? they're awesome at eating detritus.....same with nassarius snails....and use a turkey baster fo sho!....i blast my rocks with it almost daily.

and, IMO, stick with either snails or hermits...never both (the hermits are opportunistic...if they can kill a snail for a quick meal, they will....you will see your snail population slowly decline over time)....and if you do go with snails, get a lot....for my 65gal, i've got over 25 snails, at least

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius snails are probably the best way to go. They won't cannabalize each other like Patwa mentions with hermits. I like to use cucumbers for stiring the top of the sand and detritus 'export';). Cukes took out two of my small tubs of corals during the move, but in larger volumes, I've only had them reproduce if they hit a powerhead, but they rarely ever make it that high in the tank. In the tubs, the powerheads hung low, so they were easy access. I've got well over 100 snails in each my 125 and 120 with a cuke in each, also. I have some crabs, too because I like the antics, but they slowly work on each other and snails... Certain fish (jawfish, engineer gobies, sleeper gobies, etc.) can do the job, too, but they usually pile mounds of sand on corals on the sand bed.

OP
OP
Eklikewhoa

Eklikewhoa

Fish Thumper!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm......I had 2 nass snails and they did nothing for detritus especially not eat it.

My tank is a NC12g so I think a fighting conch is out of the question...

Briney Dave

High School Marine edc.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tiny of a tank, imo you would be miles ahead by just manual removal. use water changes as a chance to sweep the rocks and wee spots that gunk collects in. I think you are just too small to try to balance out a decently working cleaning crew.
I also agree with not mixing snails and hermits. I do keep a emerald but in a 30 where he has tons of room to roam and graze without getting bad ideas in his pinhead sized brain

patedship

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a small yellow cucumber. I have 2 large ones in my 60 gallon and they are able to sift and clean the sand very well. Also you shouldnt have to worry about the cucumbers eating anything other than sand. If you see the way that they eat you will know what I mean. They just have like sticky claws that grab the sand and pull it into there "mouth" hole and then they process it and eat whatever is in it then poop it out. They are very fun to have.

kappaknight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the cucumbers poisonous (when dead)? That's the only reason why I haven't picked one up yet I think...

OP
OP
Eklikewhoa

Eklikewhoa

Fish Thumper!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one....isn't the sea hare a cucumber? It's pretty awesome when working but he poops just as much as he eats so it's kinda defeating the point in a way.

The only problem I have with trying to eliminate the mess with water changes is that it's only a 12g so when I start to siphon water out I limit myslef to how much water gets pulled out to keep the tank as stable as I can.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back