CUC guidelines???

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read a lot of threads here on R2R and occasionally I come across things that make me want to ask questions... like this one.

Is there a set of guidelines for stocking levels on a good cleanup crew on a per gallon basis? I’ve had people react oddly to the quantity of “things” in my CUC and I also see people here talking about having way, way, way more than me... like 100 snails in 55 gallon tank. ...so, yeah, now I am a bit confused.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if there is a factual science behind the what size of CuC you should have, I also think it matters what type of CuC species you're going to be adding to your tank and the how often are you feeding your tank. I typically follow John's guide @reefcleaners (linked below). I had the same question when I moved into a bigger tank and now after following the Reef Cleaners recommendation, I will always go with a healthy amount of cleaners. Just a do a quick search on folks that have algae issues and you'll understand why an abundance of cleaners is worth it. A large-sized crew will keep your tank clean... especially if you're feeding daily, run a light heavy schedule.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if there is a factual science behind the what size of CuC you should have, I also think it matters what type of CuC species you're going to be adding to your tank and the how often are you feeding your tank. I typically follow John's guide @reefcleaners (linked below). I had the same question when I moved into a bigger tank and now after following the Reef Cleaners recommendation, I will always go with a healthy amount of cleaners. Just a do a quick search on folks that have algae issues and you'll understand why an abundance of cleaners is worth it. A large-sized crew will keep your tank clean... especially if you're feeding daily, run a light heavy schedule.

Thanks for that link... I thought I had a “large” cleanup crew... those packages have more.

I have a 200 gallon tank and this is what I start3 out with:

40 little turbo snails
20 hermit crabs
20 elephant snail
8 little emerald crabs
10 conches
4 cleaner shrimp and 2 red shrimp (mostly cuz they look cool)

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that link... I thought I had a “large” cleanup crew... those packages have more.

I have a 200 gallon tank and this is what I start3 out with:

40 little turbo snails
20 hermit crabs
20 elephant snail
8 little emerald crabs
10 conches
4 cleaner shrimp and 2 red shrimp (mostly cuz they look cool)
o_O
I initially thought that the crew would be way too much but after adding them to the tank it wasn't an issue, in addition, some of the snails you'll get are pretty small which I why you'll get a bigger count, you'll also find that most of them disappear during the day and come out at night I'll snap a photo this evening.

I would also suggest that you make sure all of your pieces are secured down as you probably already know snails have no concept of personal space and will knock things over. They kept knocking over my SPS frags... had to finally move them to a different system

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I initially thought that the crew would be way too much but after adding them to the tank it wasn't and issue. A lot of them disappear during the day and come out at night. I would only suggest that you make sure all of your pieces are secured down as you probably already know snails have no concept of personal space and will knock things over. They keep knocking over my SPS frags... had to finally move them to a different system :)
That’s funny! And no, my snails have no regard for my corals at all lol

U

User1

View Badges
I read a lot of threads here on R2R and occasionally I come across things that make me want to ask questions... like this one.

Is there a set of guidelines for stocking levels on a good cleanup crew on a per gallon basis? I’ve had people react oddly to the quantity of “things” in my CUC and I also see people here talking about having way, way, way more than me... like 100 snails in 55 gallon tank. ...so, yeah, now I am a bit confused.

There are. Several online vendors will sell packages based on tank size. However, I say use with caution. Why? Easy answer is balance.

Point is this. Newly cycled tanks will have stages they go through. Each state will have different forms of algae. Different forms of algae and/or bacteria will require different creatures to control. Control can be in form of fish, invert, or hobbyist control / maintenance. Do something too fast and there could be a negative effect. For example add 100 snails, they consume all algae, and now there is no food, competition ensues for what is left, and there will be loss. Let us say a package was bought and you buy 10 of these, 5 of those, and 25 hermits. Hermits need shells, they forage, they fight, and now those snails you had are new homes for the hermits. That isn't even to say that some packages include snails, hermits, sea hairs, brittle stars, and a host of other random stuff.

My point to all this is really comes down to buying things in specific and smaller units over time. This way they don't compete for food and have a better chance at success in doing what you bought them for. Also consider that if you see a snail on your glass pane and the algae is on a rock then it isn't doing what you want anyway. Remove said snail from glass and place on rock. Repeat as necessary.

TL;DR - yes, there are packages. Shop smart. Buy in manageable sizes to insure better cleaning. And don't buy random things just because they are on the CUC list. Not all are created equal.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are. Several online vendors will sell packages based on tank size. However, I say use with caution. Why? Easy answer is balance.

Point is this. Newly cycled tanks will have stages they go through. Each state will have different forms of algae. Different forms of algae and/or bacteria will require different creatures to control. Control can be in form of fish, invert, or hobbyist control / maintenance. Do something too fast and there could be a negative effect. For example add 100 snails, they consume all algae, and now there is no food, competition ensues for what is left, and there will be loss. Let us say a package was bought and you buy 10 of these, 5 of those, and 25 hermits. Hermits need shells, they forage, they fight, and now those snails you had are new homes for the hermits. That isn't even to say that some packages include snails, hermits, sea hairs, brittle stars, and a host of other random stuff.

My point to all this is really comes down to buying things in specific and smaller units over time. This way they don't compete for food and have a better chance at success in doing what you bought them for. Also consider that if you see a snail on your glass pane and the algae is on a rock then it isn't doing what you want anyway. Remove said snail from glass and place on rock. Repeat as necessary.

TL;DR - yes, there are packages. Shop smart. Buy in manageable sizes to insure better cleaning. And don't buy random things just because they are on the CUC list. Not all are created equal.
Good advice!

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure you can ever narrow it down to ONE correct answer as there are so many variables to consider. Size of the snails/crabs, species, surface area of rock (some vastly different rock scapes out there), other algae eating fish, etc. would all play a part.

There is definitely a wrong answers though.....I can't believe some of these companies get away with advertising 1 cuc per 1 or 2 gallons of tank. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Maybe a general rule for a tank with no tangs or rabbit fish could be 1 inch of snail or hermit per 10-20 gallons of tank depending on how much rock surface area you have and how fast the algae can populate. 1 snail can clear a lot of rock.

If you have a couple tangs or rabbit fish you probably don't need any.

I have 1 turbo snail and 1 cowry snail in a 120g along with 2 hermits and a coral banded shrimp. I don't need any of these as I have always had at least 3 tangs. I just keep them because I like the diversity of life in the tank. I enjoy seeing snails/hermits/shrimp cruising around doing their thing.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure you can ever narrow it down to ONE correct answer as there are so many variables to consider. Size of the snails/crabs, species, surface area of rock (some vastly different rock scapes out there), other algae eating fish, etc. would all play a part.

There is definitely a wrong answers though.....I can't believe some of these companies get away with advertising 1 cuc per 1 or 2 gallons of tank. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Maybe a general rule for a tank with no tangs or rabbit fish could be 1 inch of snail or hermit per 10-20 gallons of tank depending on how much rock surface area you have and how fast the algae can populate. 1 snail can clear a lot of rock.

If you have a couple tangs or rabbit fish you probably don't need any.

I have 1 turbo snail and 1 cowry snail in a 120g along with 2 hermits and a coral banded shrimp. I don't need any of these as I have always had at least 3 tangs. I just keep them because I like the diversity of life in the tank. I enjoy seeing snails/hermits/shrimp cruising around doing their thing.
I put my CUC up there in this thread somewhere : ) I have one blue hippo tang, a fox face and a copperbanded butterflyfish... 3 orange and white clowns and 2 black and white clowns, 5 cardinal fish and a snowflake eel.

My 200 gallon tank is 5 Months old. I started having a problem with diatom Algea because I did not understand the TDS in my RODI... I do now, problem solved. Before this my CUC was fine. I had to stop cleaning the back glass so they’d have enough Algea to eat.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my CUC up there in this thread somewhere : ) I have one blue hippo tang, a fox face and a copperbanded butterflyfish... 3 orange and white clowns and 2 black and white clowns, 5 cardinal fish and a snowflake eel.

My 200 gallon tank is 5 Months old. I started having a problem with diatom Algea because I did not understand the TDS in my RODI... I do now, problem solved. Before this my CUC was fine. I had to stop cleaning the back glass so they’d have enough Algea to eat.

If you are more into fish than snails and like the look of the Koke Tang or some other bristle tooth tang then just one of those could replace an entire clean up crew. They scrape film algae like nothing I have ever seen before.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will also vary from tank to tank depending on bioload, available surface area etc...

Marc Levenson used to recommend 1 critter per gallon, not sure if that's still the case or not. But I think most reefers would tell you that's on the heavy side in terms of CUC numbers.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will also vary from tank to tank depending on bioload, available surface area etc...

Marc Levenson used to recommend 1 critter per gallon, not sure if that's still the case or not. But I think most reefers would tell you that's on the heavy side in terms of CUC numbers.
That seems heavy to me a well. I mentioned I stopped cleaning my back glass to make sure my CUC had plenty to eat... it’s been good for them, but it seems to draw them off my rock : ( but... It makes it Easy for my to always find a few and move them somewhere back on the rock where they are needed.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are more into fish than snails and like the look of the Koke Tang or some other bristle tooth tang then just one of those could replace an entire clean up crew. They scrape film algae like nothing I have ever seen before.
I just googled that.. did you mean Kole Tang? I didn’t see a Koke Tang...

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would imagine Marc Levenson either profits from selling CUC or is under the impression we are all running algae farms.

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 200 gallon tank, it has approx 175kgs of live rock, 3” sand bed and numerous fish/corals.

I have approx:

60-70 Spiny star astrea snails
25 Turbo snails
3 large Mexican turbo snails
35 Nassarius snails
6 conchs
1 red legged hermit crab
3 dwarf Bali crabs
1 sand sifting starfish
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
10 peppermint shrimp
1 tiger pistol shrimp

All are happy and not starving. Well I can’t be exact on numbers because some may have died without me knowing in all the hidden rock areas.

As you can see I don’t like crabs, I find them a hassle and not worth it haha

There’s no rule to numbers are there are so many differing factors.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 200 gallon tank, it has approx 175kgs of live rock, 3” sand bed and numerous fish/corals.

I have approx:

60-70 Spiny star astrea snails
25 Turbo snails
3 large Mexican turbo snails
35 Nassarius snails
6 conchs
1 red legged hermit crab
3 dwarf Bali crabs
1 sand sifting starfish
2 skunk cleaner shrimp
10 peppermint shrimp
1 tiger pistol shrimp

All are happy and not starving. Well I can’t be exact on numbers because some may have died without me knowing in all the hidden rock areas.

As you can see I don’t like crabs, I find them a hassle and not worth it haha

There’s no rule to numbers are there are so many differing factors.
My eel ate most of my emerald crabs

To be honest... when I saw someone else talking about buying a “55 gallon CUC kit” that had 100 snails in it, it freaked me out a little and I started this thread. Reading everyone’s comments reassured me I have ”right-sized” my CUC to my personal needs : )

hallojanno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

i am curently planning a 30 g shallow lagoon tank and I had the same question.
the plan is to stock that tank with the following 5 fish (Not all at once, but one by on with time in between for the bacteria to adapted):

2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Watchmann Goby
1 Falco Hawkfish

I narrowed the cuc down to 3 species:

Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab
Banded Trochus Snail
Nassarius Snail

I know that i should not add all individuals of the cuc all at once, but rather add them bit by bit correlating to the bioload.

Do you have a rough number for how many I should have at the end?

Kind regards

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 105 80.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back