cuc reefcleaners

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
my new 90g is developing diatoms and starting hair algae so I believe it's time to get CUC. I already have 2 hermits and 2 peppermint shrimp I got because the live rock I bought to seed my dry rock had an aiptasia on it. (BTW - after adding shrimp - one day and aiptasia is no more). I was looking at reefcleaner packages and for 90g their package has 163 snails. That seems pretty excessive. Does anyone think I should get a package for a smaller tank? free shipping that way

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a mix of snails is good. Some sift the sand some the rock, if your going through those early tank uglies and have flowing waves if gha, I reccomend turbo snails. They destroy gha, and when it's gone, you can return them back to your lfs for credit.

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the 30g package. does it seem like a reasonable number?
28 Dwarf Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

11 Nassarius vibex - scavenger snails that will eat leftover food and some fish waste. They will stir sand, but can also be kept in bare bottom tanks.

12 Florida Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on fine hair algae, diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

11 Nerites - We are currently offering the longer lived and quite hardy Antillean Nerite. (Nerita fulgurans). It grows to a nice size,and consumes a good deal of diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. It will also consume some fine hair algae. A nocturnal herbivore that will feed more often at night, they tend to need some time to adjust to the limitations of the aquarium during their first week.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the 30g package. does it seem like a reasonable number?
28 Dwarf Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

11 Nassarius vibex - scavenger snails that will eat leftover food and some fish waste. They will stir sand, but can also be kept in bare bottom tanks.

12 Florida Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on fine hair algae, diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

11 Nerites - We are currently offering the longer lived and quite hardy Antillean Nerite. (Nerita fulgurans). It grows to a nice size,and consumes a good deal of diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. It will also consume some fine hair algae. A nocturnal herbivore that will feed more often at night, they tend to need some time to adjust to the limitations of the aquarium during their first week.
For a new tank, the 90g is probably a bit much but you will likely want to get there in the future.

The 30g package looks a little small to me. I would probably go with the 45g package and then look at adding more in a few months if needed.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those packages online stores sell seem very excessive and usually include a bunch of stuff that you don't need or that's not appropriate for the stage your tank is in right now. Better off just hand picking what you want from the reefcleaners website.

If early post- cycle, just look at getting some nerite and cerith snails... or possibly a few astraea snails (these are hard workers so gotta have alot for them to eat). If you don't have any fish, you really don't have a bioload and probably not feeding anything yet... so nassarius snails would just die off since they are meat eaters and don't touch algae.

Edit...of those you list, the 30g seems good to start, but I would look at removing the nassarius snails and replacing with 1 or 2 turbos or 4-5 astreae to attack the gha.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those packages seem very excessive and usually include a bunch of stuff that you don't need or that's not appropriate for the stage your tank is in right now. Better off just hand picking what you want from the reefcleaners website.

If early post- cycle, just look at getting some nerite and cerith snails... or possibly a few astraea snails (these are hard workers so gotta have alot for them to eat). If you don't have any fish, you really don't have a bioload and probably not feeding anything yet... so nassarius snails would just die off since they are meat eaters and don't touch algae.

excellent point.

OP
OP
Ray Laneville

Ray Laneville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a new tank, the 90g is probably a bit much but you will likely want to get there in the future.

The 30g package looks a little small to me. I would probably go with the 45g package and then look at adding more in a few months if needed.

thanks

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased all my rock and CUC from reef cleaners for years.

I just started up reefer 525 which has a 108 gallon display.

I started off about 10 days ago with a 40 gallon CUC and a bag of pods.

As I continue to add livestock I will buy another CUC of maybe 20 or 30 gallons.

2 Nd pass will most likely be snails only as I don’t like to have too many hermits.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Nd pass will most likely be snails only as I don’t like to have too many hermits.
I agree with the hermit issue.

I order the snail only CuC and then add Blue Legged hermits. You never know what you will get with the mixed type and I feel safer going with the Blue Legged variety.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the hermit issue.

I order the snail only CuC and then add Blue Legged hermits. You never know what you will get with the mixed type and I feel safer going with the Blue Legged variety.

I use blue and red leg only. So far no issues.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 24 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 22 39.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.6%
Back