Cupramine 1st Dose and fish reactions.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just put my first dose of cupramine in my qt tank. It's been up for 12 days. Dosed prazipro, 6 days later again, then on day 11 50% water change, and then 24 hrs carbon. Just put in first dose of cupramine. 40 gallon breeder. Filled to black plastic so don't know it that's really 40 gallons. Did 3.5ml (3.8 would be for a full 40). Tested with copper test and seems to be around 0.22.

My question is how bad does this "irritate fish"? They seem to be going a little crazy. They are swimming a lot faster and a little irradic. 10 minutes after I out it in one of the 2 watchman gobies tried to jump out. He has never gone more then half way up tank since day 1. Now he's a little lethargic laying back on bottom.

Is this all normal??

Fish in qt

2 smaller Craberri anthias
2 watchman gobies
1 purple tang

sa6hir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been using this on a flame angel, regal angel, emperor angel, long nose, powder blue, yellow tangs etc with no ill effect. I even had a eel in there but he decided to go carpet surfing. What I always do is take my time. It takes me 5 days to get to full dosage. You don't need to rush anything. Do a 50% water change and dose small amounts over a week. Also copper removes oxygen from the water so add a air stone and lower the temperature slightly. I keep mine at 72. Hope that helps

sa6hir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did forget to mention was keep on eye on your ammonia & nitrites. Every time I use copper I notice them creeping up. And remember no live rock or sand otherwise the copper will kill all the good bacteria and you will have a load of other problems.

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do very small doses over the course of 2-3 days or so to get up to .5 ppm
But first make sure the fish is eating real good so it's doing well and eating before treatment.

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated fish have been in qt for 11 days and doing fine, eating like pigs. I followed directions on bottle for first dose. Should of done it slower. Why does seachem give this direction?? I will now wait 2 days then slowly add the remaining 50%.

sa6hir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated fish have been in qt for 11 days and doing fine, eating like pigs. I followed directions on bottle for first dose. Should of done it slower. Why does seachem give this direction?? I will now wait 2 days then slowly add the remaining 50%.

If ur fish reacted Badly to half a dose I wouldn't add the last dose in 1 go. Spread it over 2 days. Seachem only give directions on how to add it, but if u contact them they will tell you to add it slowly due to the nature of every fish it reacts different because copper is poisonous to any fish. I have myself even lost fish in the past. So do not rush. Adding it quickly or adding more isn't better with copper based medicine. It's the end dose that counts

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, gonna go slow.

Sometime between 8am and 10am, one of my watchman climbed through the egg crate. Found him on the carpet. Thought he was dead but picked him up and he moved. Put him back in tank. Still alive at 4pm. He really didn't like the copper as I've never seen him more then a third of the way up the tank.

sa6hir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, gonna go slow.

Sometime between 8am and 10am, one of my watchman climbed through the egg crate. Found him on the carpet. Thought he was dead but picked him up and he moved. Put him back in tank. Still alive at 4pm. He really didn't like the copper as I've never seen him more then a third of the way up the tank.
I don't think u need to place goby in copper. I never had them suffer from ich. If uve had ich in your DP leave him in there and do not add anything for 6-8 weeks. No corals, no fish, no cuc. You need to let the ich cycle and die

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think u need to place goby in copper. I never had them suffer from ich. If uve had ich in your DP leave him in there and do not add anything for 6-8 weeks. No corals, no fish, no cuc. You need to let the ich cycle and die
Nope, never have had ich in my DT.

sa6hir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goby can carry ich but don't get effected by it. I've had a goby now for 4-5 years also this was my first fish. Survived 3 ich break outs with wiped out my entire life stock. But they can carry ich the best was to quarantine them would be is to leave them in a separate tank for 6 weeks and feed. The Ich that is riding on them with cycle and die. I think they have a thick slim coat so avoid getting infected.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gobies can die from ich ... I lost a sharknose goby to ich when I started my tank and brought it in. Ironic, as the sharknose is a cleaner, a fish that some folks purchase to try to eliminate ich . . .

Mandarins and scooters (really dragonets, but a lot of folks call them gobies or blennies) do have a thick slimecoat, and rarely seem to come down with ich - but can still harbor it in their gills and transmit it to other fish.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Thor2j

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my carpet dancing goby seems no worse for the wear. Had him eating a few hours ago. I have no idea how long he was down there for.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back