Current Marine LED Electrocuting my Tank?

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Current Marine Orbit LEDs on one of my tanks, never had a problem. Just yesterday reached in, and immediately felt a sting. Tried plugging and unplugging everything and deduced that it was the lights. The wires and cords are a bit of a mess in the back so I unplugged them and planned to do something about it the next day. So today I took all the cords out from behind the stand and isolated them so they weren’t touching anything else. Plugged them in, felt the water and got electrocuted again. I have absolutely no idea what to do here. Here’s how the lights sit on the tank. Could it be salt? Is it the cheap metal bracket? I don’t know. No part of these lights touch the water at all.

C163351F-6625-4602-92AB-A8E5260AFF78.jpeg

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried setting the edges on egg crate, still getting electrocuted.

Attachments

• ED7FADFA-27EB-4469-A5F6-62E71007D9B6.jpeg
    ED7FADFA-27EB-4469-A5F6-62E71007D9B6.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 27

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being electrocuted is fairly serious so the fact that you're able to talk about it would suggest that it is not quite as serious as you make out!
That said, stray voltages are no laughing matter and, for your own safety, I wonder what kind of protection you have against such things?..
If you have concluded that it only happens with the power supply to the lights turned on then obviously it has to be linked to them.
Using a safe method of measurement, have you tried powering one at a time (there appears to be two) and with them plugged into a different power outlet? Similarly, if the lights are moved away from the tank does the effect reduce? If it is positively linked to the lights then take the safe option and replace them.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 81 46.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back