Current orbit marine pro

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice, Sarah. Right now, they are at the 7 inches --highest the brackets go. I have them spaced about equal across an 18" wide tank and full length. Will adjust lights to more green and red.

thanks @mcarroll Prob. should put them at least down to 5". No real corals in there yet, just a few extra frags. With 2 lights, 18" tank, 22 deep, should I go 3 now or wait for corals?

You mean three inches, right? You may as well get it into position now so you can see how you like it overall. ;)

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Current Marine Orbit Pro and its on the mount, about 5 inches over the water, I have birdsnest and setosa and they're loving it. In fact I had to turn it down because I was bleaching the tips of the closest birdsnest. They're mounted about 2-3 inches from the surface.

Marty Fleskes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sarah24! - I just came across this older post while I was researching the Orbit Pros. I have a 90 gallon that I got for free from a friend. I am looking at upgrading the lights. The tank is a odd dimension is that it is 63" long, 13" deep (front to back that is) and 23" tall. I want to do softies, LPS and then eventually some SPS. I keep getting conflicting info on whether this Pro setup is good enough for a "deeper" tank. I have to assume that 240 is pretty deep. I like the features, adjustability and price on this light (under $400 total). Any thoughts/advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Marty Fleskes my tank is 22 deep, 18 wide. I have the ic orbit pros, 2 lights. Lights are 7 inches above water and so far, the corals on the bottom are doing good--2 types of gps, just added 2 sps's on highest rock (acro & stylophora) and they still have great PE. Duncan halfway down growing already, 2 micro's, half down, seem okay. Torch, almost to bottom is very happy and this is with egg crate covers which eat up some light. Also have a sedosa montipora and reverse sunset about half way down and they have good PE. Just got my brs netting/cover kits to replace the egg crate. So far so good. I don't hve the lights up all the way. Can post here my settings if you are interested. Still debating lowering lights to 5 inches but will give it some more time and get the clear net covers on first before making changes. And give the 2 sps's time to see how they do. I love the ease of programming, though it took a bit to figure it out. The light hub is a bit flaky but the company is sending me another so great customer service. And the ability to control up to 3 powerheads with the loop system also makes it nice. I have 2 and both are only about 30%. Price was my main reason for choosing current along with the loop controller and the fact that the lights have ramp up and down which I wanted. The cheaper black boxes are either on or off. We also wanted brackets, not hanging. Eventually maybe I'll add a canopy and we'll have to mount them. And maybe eventually I'll need to add a 3rd light which I can do with the brackets or in a canopy. I figure I'll see how it goes for 6-8 months or so

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have the older marine orbit pros the ones right before the ic loop series. My tank is 35 tall and 72 long and 24 wide. I have some acros and Maximus clams almost on the bottom of the tank and they are getting blasted pretty good. These orbit lights sit right on top of the tank.

I suppose you could hang them, but not sure why since they are designed to rest on the tank. I have amazing growth for my tank only being 6 months old. I have some pics posted of my tank here somewhere. If you can’t find them, let me know and I can upload them to you again.

As far as these lights go, I will never switch to anything else. They are amazing and from research I have done, most aquariums (like for the public ) use the currents more than the hydras and radions actually. There is still a good mix of mh and t5 that are used as well. But most of the time they use the current marine pros or, those Chinese black boxes which I don’t have experience in. But one thing to keep in mind is that the ones I have only have a 60 degree lens. I run twin lights for a 120 degree angle. So your single light may not cover front to back sitting on the tank, (now after I look dumb for saying why hang them). But it will cover the front and back if you raise the light a little bit. You may have to find the sin or cosign for the height of your angle, but it will be over kill on your tank. Any other questions please just ask away.

Sarah

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current also sells brackets that hold 2 lights. The adjust 3, 5 and 7 inches from water. For my rimmed tank I had to purchase the extra wide and I purchased 3 of them for a 72" tank. I did this as I wanted extra support in the middle and always have this fear the lights will get knocked into the tank using the stands that come with them. The ic orbit pro's are 90 degree leds

Marty Fleskes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Marty Fleskes my tank is 22 deep, 18 wide. I have the ic orbit pros, 2 lights. Lights are 7 inches above water and so far, the corals on the bottom are doing good--2 types of gps, just added 2 sps's on highest rock (acro & stylophora) and they still have great PE. Duncan halfway down growing already, 2 micro's, half down, seem okay. Torch, almost to bottom is very happy and this is with egg crate covers which eat up some light. Also have a sedosa montipora and reverse sunset about half way down and they have good PE. Just got my brs netting/cover kits to replace the egg crate. So far so good. I don't hve the lights up all the way. Can post here my settings if you are interested. Still debating lowering lights to 5 inches but will give it some more time and get the clear net covers on first before making changes. And give the 2 sps's time to see how they do. I love the ease of programming, though it took a bit to figure it out. The light hub is a bit flaky but the company is sending me another so great customer service. And the ability to control up to 3 powerheads with the loop system also makes it nice. I have 2 and both are only about 30%. Price was my main reason for choosing current along with the loop controller and the fact that the lights have ramp up and down which I wanted. The cheaper black boxes are either on or off. We also wanted brackets, not hanging. Eventually maybe I'll add a canopy and we'll have to mount them. And maybe eventually I'll need to add a 3rd light which I can do with the brackets or in a canopy. I figure I'll see how it goes for 6-8 months or so
Thanks for the information. Very helpful given the depths are so close. I also have egg crate and I have my current light right on top of it. I do have a canopy and could rig up a support to place the lights on. I just can't justify spending $1,200 for the Hydra Fifty-twos or the other premium brands. I do want to upgrade my pumps as well but what I have now is OK. If you could post the settings that would be great as the light I have now is just sunrise/sunset/on/off and there is no adjustment for intensity. I am more than likely going to order the lights today. The black boxes are interesting but that on/off only part was something that was bothering me, and two of the Viparspectra ones would have been about $250 and would just barely cover the length. I have about 4 1/2 feet of live rock across and about 12"-14" tall so I have lots of surface area and levels to place stuff. Slowly upgrading items and with the addition of these lights I think I will be set for a little bit. Thanks again for the very quick and very helpful reply!

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information. Very helpful given the depths are so close. I also have egg crate and I have my current light right on top of it. I do have a canopy and could rig up a support to place the lights on. I just can't justify spending $1,200 for the Hydra Fifty-twos or the other premium brands. I do want to upgrade my pumps as well but what I have now is OK. If you could post the settings that would be great as the light I have now is just sunrise/sunset/on/off and there is no adjustment for intensity. I am more than likely going to order the lights today. The black boxes are interesting but that on/off only part was something that was bothering me, and two of the Viparspectra ones would have been about $250 and would just barely cover the length. I have about 4 1/2 feet of live rock across and about 12"-14" tall so I have lots of surface area and levels to place stuff. Slowly upgrading items and with the addition of these lights I think I will be set for a little bit. Thanks again for the very quick and very helpful reply!

Do you have the loop controller? Adjusting intensity is done under each button like the full on button you can adjust intensity, same iwth sunrise/sunset and moonlight. Which currents do you have and do you have 1 or 2 and do you have the loop controller or just a remote. If it is the current ic marine pro with the loop controller then I can tell you how to adjust. If not, I'm not sure

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the loop controller and remote as well, and know both. FYI I don’t use my loop controller for my lights, since that is designed for the ic version only. However I can adjust all my LEDS through the remote and or pro ramp timers.

9177F2DC-142F-4973-966C-39E31E51933C.jpeg

Marty Fleskes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the loop controller? Adjusting intensity is done under each button like the full on button you can adjust intensity, same iwth sunrise/sunset and moonlight. Which currents do you have and do you have 1 or 2 and do you have the loop controller or just a remote. If it is the current ic marine pro with the loop controller then I can tell you how to adjust. If not, I'm not sure
I actually don't have any of the Current Products right now. What I am looking at is the IC Pro version (2 lights) in the 48" width. The 72" is too wide for my tank. I may not get full coverage out to the 63" but I also thought about staggering them a bit (4"-5"). I would be setting them right on top of the tank and not hanging them. So it sounds as if you have the same ones I would be buying.

Marty Fleskes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the loop controller and remote as well, and know both. FYI I don’t use my loop controller for my lights, since that is designed for the ic version only. However I can adjust all my LEDS through the remote and or pro ramp timers.

9177F2DC-142F-4973-966C-39E31E51933C.jpeg
I am looking at the Orbit IC Pro 48" (dual lights) so the par values are slightly different than the pros you are using. I'm guessing that my values would be less than what you are getting, but your tank is also about 12" deeper than mine. My tank is 13" wide versus your 24". I guess I have to consider if one Marine Pro 48" would enough, or two turned down so I don't bleach everything, or if the IC Pros would be fine. The 2 like you have would provide me plenty to grow just about anything in my tank.

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just get the duals (2 light bars) and see how it goes. Should be the same as mine if you get the ic pro's. You can always add a 3rd or 4th later and the brackets work really well if you need them up a bit higher for spread.
orbit-marine-chart.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 75 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back