Custom LED fixture build

OceanMinded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im still waiting on some of the LED's to arrive but im getting most of my things together with this build. This is a very exciting fixture and I cant wait to get it running. Fixture is 8x6" and will hold 21 LED's powered by a Duo700 dimmable driver. 3 rows of 7 LED's will make for a challenge to get the colors mixed right and evenly but im not too worried about it.

LED's: 4 CREE XP-G Neutral White
8 CREE XP-E Royal Blue
2 CREE XP-E Blue
3 CREE XR-E Q5 Cool White

4 True Violet LED - 420nm

And I might play around with adding a Deep Red 660nm

Enjoy the pics, updates to follow!

001-2.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

Last edited:

Onedesign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet heatsink but boy that is really too many LEDs. Typical DIY spacing is 2" between each LED and 3" between rows and mixing is fine.

So give it up...we all want to know about the heatsink!

WrasseSandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet heatsink but boy that is really too many LEDs. Typical DIY spacing is 2" between each LED and 3" between rows and mixing is fine.

So give it up...we all want to know about the heatsink!

Yea, I'm interested to know high he's going to drive them, that's going to be alot of heat saturated on the heatsink

OP
OP
OceanMinded

OceanMinded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the heatsink is indeed a Unibody heatsink. The only difference is the lack of logo's; becuase there are a few small defects on the heatsink from the machining process it could not be used..but rather salvaged. As far as heat im not too concerned. Shores805's heatsink is twice the size of mine with twice the amount of LEDs' and he isnt even running his fan and has yet to have problems.

This light is going over my 24g Aquapod for the meantime. When I set up my 62g Ill be making another one of these lights and ill run both of them together on a controller.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think you misunderstood me Staf, the fans running I just didnt have it wired up at the time a few weeks ago and was using an oscillating fan until I got around to it. As far as the fixture running hot because of the LED density, its really not an issue.Ive done a few builds with other types of heatsinks and these def run cooler. The silenX fans are very efficient, and the unit functions similar to an ATI T5 fixture with the splashguard containing the heat, and being evacuated out the top. If familiar with ATI T5s, youve prob noticed the unit gets significantly hotter when run without the splashguard. Same concept here.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 88 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back