Cutting aiptasia

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys cut aipastia off of rocks , they retract really quick , do you guys use something to hold onto them while you make the cut ?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shove a flathead screwdriver cleaned off, as a forceful but precise wedge up under it and you make a divot like a golf shot to take some of its footing attachment out

this isn’t a pretty / precise removal

it’s rough, dig up under it you can press a small sharp screwdriver into live rock it’s not that tough

take pics before during after I need it for an article

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a small hammer to tap under it

be precise, but dig a little rougher than you planned

if it’s in a crevice, pretend I’m offering you six thousand dollars to press well enough to get up under it, even still, in one pass

show that action please please

OP
OP
LOVEROCK

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shove a flathead screwdriver cleaned off, as a forceful but precise wedge up under it and you make a divot like a golf shot to take some of its footing attachment out

this isn’t a pretty / precise removal

it’s rough, dig up under it you can press a small sharp screwdriver into live rock it’s not that tough

take pics before during after I need it for an article
The rock is under supporting a shelf rock , with some sps on it , I really would just like to cut it , rather then using force and having the rock move around

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The rock is under supporting a shelf rock , with some sps on it , I really would just like to cut it , rather then using force and having the rock move around
Keep it simple. . . . . .
Using syringe, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

OR

You cant beat a Kleini Butterfly BUT must be the bluehead- NOT the yellow version. The yellow will go after coral too but bluehead as pictured will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small.

1669774874713.png

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia can regenerate from few cels, so cutting them is sort of counterproductive. I would recommend either chemical ways of controlling aiptasia(kalkwasser paste, lime juice), or if mechanical, covering entrance to their "lair" with reef epoxy. Mechanical and chemical ways work better if you take rock out of the tank. I would also recommend considering biological means ( peppermint shrimp, berghia nudibranchs or some fish).
Good luck and be persistent.

OP
OP
LOVEROCK

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to add , that I want to start a nudi colony to introduce all at once to hit the aiptasia without my wrase wiping them out , hence trying to cut them and feed then
In a sep system !!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back