Cyanobactera! (Discussion)

Palytoxin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does Cyanobacteria get such a bad rap? I haven't dealt with it personally. From what I read it creates Cyanotoxins, steals oxygen, which in itself is bad. But people make it seem like it's the biggest nightmare of their lives!

I've heard it can be caused by a multitude of reasons, ranging from high phosphates, silicates, high nitrates, all the way to just not enough flow.

Is it possible at all for cyanobacteria to be a not so bad thing or even a positive thing? Such as inside of a sump or refugium if you can somehow harvest it?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does Cyanobacteria get such a bad rap? I haven't dealt with it personally. From what I read it creates Cyanotoxins, steals oxygen, which in itself is bad. But people make it seem like it's the biggest nightmare of their lives!

I've heard it can be caused by a multitude of reasons, ranging from high phosphates, silicates, high nitrates, all the way to just not enough flow.

Is it possible at all for cyanobacteria to be a not so bad thing or even a positive thing? Such as inside of a sump or refugium if you can somehow harvest it?
First of all it’s unsightly. Second, it can cover and smother corals. I’ve seen some tanks that are just covered in it. Zoas usually don’t care as well as other corals. Basically will outcompete all of the good bacteria in your rocks and sand. If confined to small patches, it’s mostly harmless but left unchecked and you won’t want it.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 43 42.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 49 48.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back