Cycle Almost Done ??

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't figure out what number this is 2ppm or 5ppm, anyone?
tempImageIClElm.jpg

tempImageeH2XKH.jpg
tempImageg4NsVn.jpg
Folks tend to ignore nitrite readings now, and low ammonia suggests your safe for fish. You could add a bacteria source from an existing system through additions of live rock for example but then you should wait to turn the lights on for a while (or at least only use dim light) while that bacteria circulates and coats your tank and rock. Alternatively, expect an algae fest. Welcome to reefin.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After putting in One and Only I dosed ammonia based on the bottle. After day 3 I had ammonia at 4+ and it didnt go down for almost 1 week (Didnt add anyone more ammonia). I decided to try Fritz 9000 after reading the reviews and within 24hrs it went to 1 and now 36hrs later its .5. Nitrites peaked at 4 yesterday and now down to 1.

I figured by tomorrow it should be 0 and I will do a 50% water change and add the filtration back and get a clown on Sunday.

Thoughts?
Sounds like a good plan.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that even though you’ve cycled, you still only have the bare minimum required amounts of nitrosomas and nitrobacter bacteria. As you add organisms, those bare minimums are going to have to increase to support the livestock. You can either allow what you have to multiply naturally or you could add more Fritzyme. Be careful not to add too much livestock too quickly or you’ll have to cycle a second time and your livestock will be in jeopardy.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When cycle is done, if nitrates are high do a WC, otherwise it doesn't matter

Don't be too worried if the cycle takes a while, it seems you do not have live rock, which typically means the cycle will be somewhat slower.

use the filter floss, you can even add it in while cycling, it won't effect the process. I would wait on the chemi pure and purigen,
I would second the waiting on the chemipure and Purigen. Remember you still have to build bacterial bases for your lifestock so you’ll need nitrogenous compounds to do that. The chemipure and Purigen will remove those nitrogenous compounds.

OP
OP
T

tpirovol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I will just put in the below for a week after the ammonia goes down and no water change. Then in a week a big water change and a fish? Or should I do the below and 1 Clown?

What copepods should I add? I am thinking https://reefnutrition.com/products/apexpods

Media
Carbon
Floss

Inverts
1x Crab
1x Nerites
1x Cerith

Other

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I will just put in the below for a week after the ammonia goes down and no water change. Then in a week a big water change and a fish? Or should I do the below and 1 Clown?

What copepods should I add? I am thinking https://reefnutrition.com/products/apexpods

Media
Carbon
Floss

Inverts
1x Crab
1x Nerites
1x Cerith

Other
Once you got NH4 and NO2 down to zero, if your N03 is over 20 do a 50% water change. If not, it’s not necessary. In the future, I would use 20 ppm as a trigger point for water changes. I would hold off on the carbon and add the clown. Feed lightly. The crabs and pods should be OK too. And then give it at least a month before you add anything else. Preferably two months. Always be aware that with each animal you add you need to increase your bacterial base proportionately. When you feel comfortable that you have a solid base, then you can add carbon or Purigen.

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Media
Carbon
Floss

Inverts
1x Crab
1x Nerites
1x Cerith

Other

Media
Carbon
Floss

Inverts
1x Crab
1x Nerites
1x Cerith

Other
The crab might end up eating the snails.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back