Temp 25c
Salinity 1.026
Ammonia <O.15
Phosphate 0.25
Nitrate 5
Calcium 480
KH 7.7
Magnesium 1200

Nitrates slowly rising from zero but ammonia not moved. Have decent amount of live rock which was cured and only out water from LFS to tank for 30mins max. Lots of feather dusters now appearing on it so concluding absolutely minimal die off transporting.

I added small amount of frozen mysis to try and kick start cycle but only once

Protein skimmer has been running since set up

Did add around 50ml of colony bottled bacteria because of live rock but only once

I haven’t done any water changes but planned a 10% this weekend

I have a bottle of zlements in one but not opened or added anything

Lights on for around 6hrs very very low to help with live rock

Anything I should be doing or not be doing at this stage?

Thanks

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used rock that was live and submerged for a good amount of time(and with feather dusters I'd say it's good) you are good to go. Using api tests? If so that's a normal phenomenon to see some lvl of ammonia which is probably a false read. I set up my little tank with rock from the lfs thats been in one of their bins for months/years I dug deep had sponges and feather dusters caribsea live sand and a bottle of bacteria. I set it up on Saturday and added ammonia 2 times during the next week at a half dose to what Dr Tim's recommended for a new tank cycle tested Friday night the following week with Hannah meters. Very low ammonia and around 10 nitrate. Took a sample to lfs on Saturday they use Hannah and salifert had them use salifert good to go. Added my angler and a couple frags haven't looked back.

OP
OP
C

canisterreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used rock that was live and submerged for a good amount of time(and with feather dusters I'd say it's good) you are good to go. Using api tests? If so that's a normal phenomenon to see some lvl of ammonia which is probably a false read. I set up my little tank with rock from the lfs thats been in one of their bins for months/years I dug deep had sponges and feather dusters caribsea live sand and a bottle of bacteria. I set it up on Saturday and added ammonia 2 times during the next week at a half dose to what Dr Tim's recommended for a new tank cycle tested Friday night the following week with Hannah meters. Very low ammonia and around 10 nitrate. Took a sample to lfs on Saturday they use Hannah and salifert had them use salifert good to go. Added my angler and a couple frags haven't looked back.
Using salifert tests. That’s positive thanks for the advice. I wanted to start with some inverts. From what you say it sounds like I can add a few now?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You used live rock, the rock contains nitrifying bacteria already, your tank is cycled and can support life. Go buy your first fish. And maybe a very small cleaning crew also, and then add more later as needed.

No need for a water change until nitrate gets up past 20-30 or so.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two week into cycle readings as follows
Temp 25c
Salinity 1.026
Ammonia <O.15
Phosphate 0.25
Nitrate 5
Calcium 480
KH 7.7
Magnesium 1200

Nitrates slowly rising from zero but ammonia not moved. Have decent amount of live rock which was cured and only out water from LFS to tank for 30mins max. Lots of feather dusters now appearing on it so concluding absolutely minimal die off transporting.

I added small amount of frozen mysis to try and kick start cycle but only once

Protein skimmer has been running since set up

Did add around 50ml of colony bottled bacteria because of live rock but only once

I haven’t done any water changes but planned a 10% this weekend

I have a bottle of zlements in one but not opened or added anything

Lights on for around 6hrs very very low to help with live rock

Anything I should be doing or not be doing at this stage?

Thanks
It is likely that there is nitrification capability in your system, but no data to indicate how much and it is only on the live rock right now. With lights on, ammonia would have been consumed by micro algae as well, minimizing the amount of ammonia that would have fed the nitrifying bacteria. I would be in a hurry to add too many fish at once.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You’re cycled. This rock came from a big tank at the LFS where they have critters and algae in, with lights on it? Given you have feather dusters I’m assuming it is. This was cycled already - ideally the rock would be transferred submerged, but for a few mins out of water any die off would be minimal, as you’re seeing with the live inverts on it.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using salifert tests. That’s positive thanks for the advice. I wanted to start with some inverts. From what you say it sounds like I can add a few now?
yup just dont go crazy at first. The only regret I have is one of the rocks I got has bubble algae on it pretty heavy, took about 2 weeks to start growing. I cant add hermits or mithrix crabs because of the angler. so manual removal for me. But thats one of the draw backs of using live rock.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back