Cycling a tank with copepods

Scott714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone got any first hand experience with cycling a tank with copepods?

My thoughts were to add copepods and then dose phytoplankton to feed them, they then produce small amounts of ammonia (based on how much phytoplankton is added) and nitrogen cycle begins.

They also then reproduce and generate more ammonia etc. added benefit you get an established pod population and perhaps avoid an ugly stage.

Thoughts/comments/feedback?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone got any first hand experience with cycling a tank with copepods?

My thoughts were to add copepods and then dose phytoplankton to feed them, they then produce small amounts of ammonia (based on how much phytoplankton is added) and nitrogen cycle begins.

They also then reproduce and generate more ammonia etc. added benefit you get an established pod population and perhaps avoid an ugly stage.

Thoughts/comments/feedback?
The tank would cycle with the phytoplankton even if you didn’t add pods long before you would see a substantial pod population.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why?? Sounds like you're trying to do something very simple through a method that probably won't work well and if it works, why would you do it that way?

OP
OP
Scott714

Scott714

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why?? Sounds like you're trying to do something very simple through a method that probably won't work well and if it works, why would you do it that way?
I'm quite curious about the role the microfauna play in a reef aquarium and since I'll be starting with a blank slate - that's probably the best time to experiment with something prior to adding fish/corals.

kiwikoxo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! ⊂◉‿◉つ

So I did this to my tank! I started on a 10 gallon and then did it to my main tank. The pods exploded!
I would crush fish flakes into tiny sand bits and put some in after I ran out of phyto and they love that too!

However, I finished the cycle, got my waters tested ,and added fish.. Now I am setting up a refugium cause I don't see any more pods! I stopped with the powdered foods and hope they would survive off of reef roids or something but nopes. Fish eating em so fast. Good luck!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! ⊂◉‿◉つ

So I did this to my tank! I started on a 10 gallon and then did it to my main tank. The pods exploded!
I would crush fish flakes into tiny sand bits and put some in after I ran out of phyto and they love that too!

However, I finished the cycle, got my waters tested ,and added fish.. Now I am setting up a refugium cause I don't see any more pods! I stopped with the powdered foods and hope they would survive off of reef roids or something but nopes. Fish eating em so fast. Good luck!
This is actually the normal progression. You will see an absolute explosion of pods and then the levels balance out to the food supply.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 63 47.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back