Cycling and water parameters question

pwendlandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! As the forum says, I’m new to the saltwater hobby. I’ve been cycling my tank for 23 days now. The light has been on all the time except for today that I turned it on for a few hours. The Ammonium (NH4) has been constantly at 0 I do a test every three days give or take. Same with the NO2, but it’s reading at 0.2. The tank is a 75 L (20 gallon) cube. I do knot have a skimmer my local store gave me some bacteria treatments instead and with that it takes the need of a skimmer all together. The rock is a fake rock and a week ago I added live rock fragments to start colonizing the fake rock. And the sand was live sand. I was told I need to wait for an ammonium peak at one point yet I still haven’t seen it? Perhaps I screwed up the cycling process?? Or am I on the right path? And if so how long to wait to maybe add a small clown fish o a hardy snail/invertebrate? Also what is with cycling without light? I’ve been told by many people to leave it on and others off. Here are a few photos of the tank and the NO2 test.

IMG_3935.jpeg IMG_3649.jpeg IMG_3650.jpeg IMG_3624.jpeg

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add any ammonia at the beginning of the cycling process? You need a little bit of ammonia to feed the bacteria that establish the nitrogen cycle. Over time this ammonia is converted to nitrite and then nitrate. The goal is help establish a good amount of this beneficial bacteria. You could potentially also ghost feed the tank by adding a small piece of raw shrimp. As it decays it’ll release ammonia which will help kick start the cycle. Unfortunately, I do not think your tank has actually cycled yet.

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What source of ammonia did you use to start your cycle? And I would strongly suggest not getting a protein skimmer and get yourself an algae scrubber.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are on the right path just for asking for advice and not getting fish just because ammonia is at zero.

To answer your question, if ammonia has always been at zero then your tank is not cycled. You should have some reading on ammonia. What are your nitrates at?

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consolidating the questions above (and my own):

- what sort of bacteria was added?
- real live sand (from ocean), or “live sand” stuff you get in a bag at Petco / LFS
- have you fed the tank? We call it ghost feedinf
- did you add ammonia at any point?

I cycled some dry rock for a month with a shrimp ghost feeding (plus a little bit of old dr Tims) and it was good to go in about 20-30 days. I did not test ammonia the whole time, but i knew if i keep feeding the bacteria I knew it would be fine. If it’s not seeded (and fed), that maybe another story

OP
OP
P

pwendlandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add any ammonia at the beginning of the cycling process? You need a little bit of ammonia to feed the bacteria that establish the nitrogen cycle. Over time this ammonia is converted to nitrite and then nitrate. The goal is help establish a good amount of this beneficial bacteria. You could potentially also ghost feed the tank by adding a small piece of raw shrimp. As it decays it’ll release ammonia which will help kick start the cycle. Unfortunately, I do not think your tank has actually cycled yet.
I have this products to start the cycle. The special blend is probably the worst smell I’ve ever smelt jaja and the nite out is better hahaha no one have me a heads up about the smells! I keep that one in the fridge. The first days I only added the special blend and then once a week special blend and the normal dose of the nite out right after.

Attachments

• IMG_3941.jpeg
    IMG_3941.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3943.jpeg
    IMG_3943.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3945.jpeg
    IMG_3945.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3946.jpeg
    IMG_3946.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 18

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello! As the forum says, I’m new to the saltwater hobby. I’ve been cycling my tank for 23 days now. The light has been on all the time except for today that I turned it on for a few hours. The Ammonium (NH4) has been constantly at 0 I do a test every three days give or take. Same with the NO2, but it’s reading at 0.2. The tank is a 75 L (20 gallon) cube. I do knot have a skimmer my local store gave me some bacteria treatments instead and with that it takes the need of a skimmer all together. The rock is a fake rock and a week ago I added live rock fragments to start colonizing the fake rock. And the sand was live sand. I was told I need to wait for an ammonium peak at one point yet I still haven’t seen it? Perhaps I screwed up the cycling process?? Or am I on the right path? And if so how long to wait to maybe add a small clown fish o a hardy snail/invertebrate? Also what is with cycling without light? I’ve been told by many people to leave it on and others off. Here are a few photos of the tank and the NO2 test.

IMG_3935.jpeg IMG_3649.jpeg IMG_3650.jpeg IMG_3624.jpeg
The reading id not off if it has been steady. You initially want to add ammonia Chloride. Then when ammonia rises then falls and holds a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and also nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- you are cycled.

OP
OP
P

pwendlandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consolidating the questions above (and my own):

- what sort of bacteria was added?
- real live sand (from ocean), or “live sand” stuff you get in a bag at Petco / LFS
- have you fed the tank? We call it ghost feedinf
- did you add ammonia at any point?

I cycled some dry rock for a month with a shrimp ghost feeding (plus a little bit of old dr Tims) and it was good to go in about 20-30 days. I did not test ammonia the whole time, but i knew if i keep feeding the bacteria I knew it would be fine. If it’s not seeded (and fed), that maybe another story
Oh the type of sand you buy at LFS. It was the bio active live sand from natures ocean. I posted a picture of the bacteria. I am using the microbe-lift special blend water care and the nite-out II. I did ghost feed the tank but I am guessing from what I’ve been reading here I did it wrong jaja I did not know I had to add a shrimp I just added a bit of fish food, don’t know if that works.

OP
OP
P

pwendlandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are on the right path just for asking for advice and not getting fish just because ammonia is at zero.

To answer your question, if ammonia has always been at zero then your tank is not cycled. You should have some reading on ammonia. What are your nitrates at?
Haven’t measured nitrates my LFS guy who’s been in the business for many years told me not to even think about them until after the first month so I’ve been trusting him with that and everything else I’ve done so far

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh the type of sand you buy at LFS. It was the bio active live sand from natures ocean. I posted a picture of the bacteria. I am using the microbe-lift special blend water care and the nite-out II. I did ghost feed the tank but I am guessing from what I’ve been reading here I did it wrong jaja I did not know I had to add a shrimp I just added a bit of fish food, don’t know if that works.
Got it. No, you don’t need to add a shrimp (that is a little old school), but it’s a way to feed the tank.

The solution stuff you added seems to be like other forms of ammonia and bacteria feeding. I’ve never heard of it before, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad (I don’t know a lot either :) ).

OP
OP
P

pwendlandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. No, you don’t need to add a shrimp (that is a little old school), but it’s a way to feed the tank.

The solution stuff you added seems to be like other forms of ammonia and bacteria feeding. I’ve never heard of it before, but that doesn’t mean it’s bad (I don’t know a lot either :) ).
I mean sometimes old school works best if this week there’s no change after adding the solutions maybe I’ll do the shrimp and see where it goes. I’ve wanted 23 days jaja a few more won’t do harm.

Yeah I don’t know about the solutions either I am just going on a trusting rout of my LFS but so far there’s been no change so I’m intrigued.

OP
OP
P

pwendlandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reading id not off if it has been steady. You initially want to add ammonia Chloride. Then when ammonia rises then falls and holds a steady reading of Zero for at least 5 days and also nitrate rises and falls and holds at 20 or below- you are cycled.
Ohhh okok, my concern is maybe I did not see the rise and fall? Because I only started testing after mid - closer to third week of the process?? And my LFS is also surprised that there has been no change on the parameters.

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may or may not be cycled. I am leaning on it is, given the amount of time and stuff put in it.

The test @vetteguy53081 suggested is the way to go. Get some Dr Tim’s anmmonia, annd following instructions for the final test. In 24 hours if it drops to 0, you’re good to go. If it sticks around, the bacteria hasn’t seeded yet.

OP
OP
P

pwendlandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What source of ammonia did you use to start your cycle? And I would strongly suggest not getting a protein skimmer and get yourself an algae scrubber.
I actually do have a scrubber jaja was the first thing I bought I know there’s the ugly phase and all but I want to avoid (if possible) algae jaja so defiantly was the first thing I got, it’s a magnetic one and I do plan on getting metal rod one to clean the back. As for the ammonia, I added this:
I have this products to start the cycle. The special blend is probably the worst smell I’ve ever smelt jaja and the nite out is better hahaha no one have me a heads up about the smells! I keep that one in the fridge. The first days I only added the special blend and then once a week special blend and the normal dose of the nite out right after.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pwendlandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may or may not be cycled. I am leaning on it is, given the amount of time and stuff put in it.

The test @vetteguy53081 suggested is the way to go. Get some Dr Tim’s anmmonia, annd following instructions for the final test. In 24 hours if it drops to 0, you’re good to go. If it sticks around, the bacteria hasn’t seeded yet.
That sounds like an interesting option, I’ll have to check if my LFS sells that product or something similar if not maybe online. Hopefully with that I can tell if it’s cycled or not.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That sounds like an interesting option, I’ll have to check if my LFS sells that product or something similar if not maybe online. Hopefully with that I can tell if it’s cycled or not.
If not, th ammonia chloride by Brightwell also works well

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your LFS guy might not think it’s worth checking for nitrates, but it’s the easiest way to tell if your tank is cycling.

If you have nitrates, your tank is cycling.
^ this is why I mentioned them

Regardless I recommend you to re-dose ammonia. If the take is ready that will be processed in less then 2 days

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may help too

There are no uncycled reef tanks by day 23

That’s a time-based statement vs a testing one, since relating the reading on this test kit rarely ties to a clear end cycle date (I have nine pages of work avail to read showing that kit above misleading lots of reefers, some with 2 year old fully stocked sps reefs being given a misread alert)

Also supporting time based cycle dating: all published cycling charts ever made, see the ammonia line for # of days required for ammonia control

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply do a large water change and you’re done

Your fish aren’t safe though until you choose and run a disease protocol from the fish forum, being cycled for sure does not impact the expected disease coursing from a dry start system using no preps at all.

The wc isn’t to export ammonia that your tank can’t control, that testing above isn’t likely accurate given this many days (never in history has a 25th day reading on a seneye cycle been that high)

It’s to export unstated things, misapplied doses etc and to start your tank with clean water vs algae fuel.

After the water change, filter bacteria still line every submerged surface in the tank

After a water change, you can’t not be cycled, says this work thread saying you were ready fifteen days ago:

Every post for forty pages was just like your tank only you’ve waited twice as long as they did, it’s why I’m confident about your tank being ready. What you posted isn’t rare, it’s how most cycles begin, with an open-ended wait plan and test kits involved in mass misread events.

We reversed the rules to get those outcomes.

@pwendlandt

It’s time to stop testing for ammonia and nitrite in that reef, forever (the whole work thread linked is testless reef tank cycling—we waited only ten days max on every example) and aim all concerns and studies and preps into the disease forum before you add fish.

Waiting longer, adding any more ingredients or supports can’t make your tank safe for fish.

Your selected disease preps determine how fast you can stock the tank, the bioload carry part is already known we show above.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back