Cycling Question

Chris H Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I am cycling my 75 gallon aquarium with clownfish (Please don't give me too much hate, I did not know that this was stressful on the fish when I started).

I checked my water today after about a month of cycling and I am reading Ammonia: 0.2 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate: 5. Using a red sea test kit.

Here's my history over the last month:
1713550186196.png

Am I just reading the ammonia wrong? Nitrite was 100% 0 but sometimes I have trouble reading the ammonia test.

Am I considered cycled?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I am cycling my 75 gallon aquarium with clownfish (Please don't give me too much hate, I did not know that this was stressful on the fish when I started).

I checked my water today after about a month of cycling and I am reading Ammonia: 0.2 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate: 5. Using a red sea test kit.

Here's my history over the last month:
1713550186196.png

Am I just reading the ammonia wrong? Nitrite was 100% 0 but sometimes I have trouble reading the ammonia test.

Am I considered cycled?
You are considered to "have enough nitrifying bacteria to manage the current bioload"... the "cycle" is neverending. How much rock or other biomedia is in the tank? If it's a reasonable amount, start slowly adding more fish if you want, understanding that the bacterial colonies will need a little time to catch up to the new bioload. In 75 gallons though, you should be fine - that's a lot of dilution.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Target salinity should be 1.026 or slightly lower.

OP
OP
C

Chris H Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are considered to "have enough nitrifying bacteria to manage the current bioload"... the "cycle" is neverending. How much rock or other biomedia is in the tank? If it's a reasonable amount, start slowly adding more fish if you want, understanding that the bacterial colonies will need a little time to catch up to the new bioload. In 75 gallons though, you should be fine - that's a lot of dilution.
I have about 80lbs of rocks and 25lbs (i think) of sand.

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up question, should I start running my skimmer now? I had it running but not collecting for aeration for the initial cycling
IMO wait until your nutrient levels stay stable... don't want dinos to add to the long list of other annoyances you're bound to run into with a new tank

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back