Cycling Rock before setup- Question about Live Rock added

Ex_Ex_Parrot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've finally started baby steps in cycling rock to prepare for a tank in the future. Planning on starting a tank in about ~4 months due to various reasons. The bin is running with a thermometer and pump for water movement, though I may switch to a bubbler if I don't need as much and can spare the energy.

So, I've got lots of dry rock that I'm running in this bin with 2 separate chunks of live rock I've acquired from both LFS in our town. I'm trying to build as much diversity as I can for the cycling rock cause I'm dead set on a stable/healthy tank for my first go.

I've got no light on it to try to avoid algae growth, but if I have no light going- will that hurt any Coraline Algae present on the live rocks I've added? I'm not in a hurry to add bacteria/ammonia for faster cycling but would happily consider it. I did a single ghost feed of generic flakes, I might throw in a thawed out shrimp/scallop from a freezer in a few weeks or something to break down- would it be better to ghost feed something more specific? Like, live phyto?

I'm also considering getting a 'reef booster' sort of thing from someone like Pacific East Aquaculture, live sand+copepods+handful of snails+Coraline Algae chips, but I'll hold off until the rocks had a little extra time to cycle.

So far though, I love being able to peak in the bin and watch all the little copepods/amphipods present on the live rock. Thinking about looking around for more chunks of live rock from other people's tanks for further introduction of bacteria/variety, or just revisit one of the LFS since one of them has a pretty great stock of nice live rock for a decent enough price.

IMG_20231104_102723.jpg IMG_20231108_223036.jpg

OP
OP
Ex_Ex_Parrot

Ex_Ex_Parrot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also a little scared of whether or not my cheap Rubbermaid trash can will hold up to the water lol.

I went a bit cheap assuming this bin would be for dedicated water mixing, figured I would put it to work in the meantime but needed to save a few bucks and didn't go with the Grey/tough line. I've kept it to 10gal water volume hoping that the lower amount will help prevent it from blowing out. Isn't bowing so far so that's nice

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thought is to get all the rocks you need early so that the bucket can be in fallow for fish parasites 46, or More days (I forget what number of days is recommended) before you set up the tank.

I think the can is as safe as some glass tanks that people use :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Measure phosphate in the barrel after you add all your stuff (live sand or mud!) to the mix. Often rocks are carrying a load of P that can be treated with lanthanum chloride in the barrel to reduce the amount that gets loaded in the tank.

Start a build thread so others can learn how to do it right by reading your notes.:smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

OP
OP
Ex_Ex_Parrot

Ex_Ex_Parrot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thought is to get all the rocks you need early so that the bucket can be in fallow for fish parasites 46, or More days (I forget what number of days is recommended) before you set up the tank.

I think the can is as safe as some glass tanks that people use :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Measure phosphate in the barrel after you add all your stuff (live sand or mud!) to the mix. Often rocks are carrying a load of P that can be treated with lanthanum chloride in the barrel to reduce the amount that gets loaded in the tank.

Start a build thread so others can learn how to do it right by reading your notes.:smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
Cheers, I *probably* should have measured phosphates before adding the live rock already since the dry rock was from a previously broken down tank about a year and a half ago in case there were any residual, excess minerals & chemicals.

*Although* I forgot to mention that I did a 50% water change before first adding the live rock chunks. The dry rock was cycling in pre-mixed saltwater, so I got 5gal from the first LFS I got rock from to help level out parameters.

Been watching loads of BRSTV vids the last year and a half out of curiosity, for fun. Hoping to apply as many safe approaches to start this out.

Will absolutely do a new build thread when it comes around ~February or so. Will be building a first tank out with either a 40gal breeder or 33gal long and adding in a acrylic/glass plate for a sump to make an AIO that I can do with as I please

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the photosynthetic things on the live rock to spread the the dead, then you will need light. You might also need to add some nitrogen to the bin to give building blocks for the new organic tissue to develop - ammonium chloride, or the like, is a good thing to add (cheap from amazon).

The flow pump is enough if you have surface agitation. Aim it at the surface more if the agitation is not enough.

Just a word of caution, but BRS videos are infomercials more than actually helpful - some are better than others, some just disappear if they did the wrong things and some are very self serving. Some of the podcasts and videos from people not selling you things are likely many times better.

OP
OP
Ex_Ex_Parrot

Ex_Ex_Parrot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the photosynthetic things on the live rock to spread the the dead, then you will need light. You might also need to add some nitrogen to the bin to give building blocks for the new organic tissue to develop - ammonium chloride, or the like, is a good thing to add (cheap from amazon).

The flow pump is enough if you have surface agitation. Aim it at the surface more if the agitation is not enough.

Just a word of caution, but BRS videos are infomercials more than actually helpful - some are better than others, some just disappear if they did the wrong things and some are very self serving. Some of the podcasts and videos from people not selling you things are likely many times better.
Okay, the nitrogen/ammonium chloride thing was something I was heavily considering. I don't really have a plan for a light yet, but I can figure something out I'm sure.

I'm using a 320gph pump that I'm going to use in my eventual build, so it's producing *plenty* of flow in that 10 gal of water lol

Also yeah I know the BRS videos are for product sales, totally get it. I've pretty much only watched them for the information that can be gleaned. Much like their recent 52 weeks being like almost entirely about products/equipment at times lol

Edit: what photosynthetic things should I promote growth of at this point? I'm not adding significant nutrition so I'm sure general algae growth *shouldn't* be a big issue..

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can grow coralline with a household light. My 72x30x30 FOWLR has a single LED shop light from Sams Club over it and the whole front is covered in purple.

Go to the reef chemistry section and find the pinned link with all of Dr. RHF's articles. Read these. They will help more than anything. You can likely skip ORP and some of the advanced one, for now.

OP
OP
Ex_Ex_Parrot

Ex_Ex_Parrot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can grow coralline with a household light. My 72x30x30 FOWLR has a single LED shop light from Sams Club over it and the whole front is covered in purple.

Go to the reef chemistry section and find the pinned link with all of Dr. RHF's articles. Read these. They will help more than anything. You can likely skip ORP and some of the advanced one, for now.
Oh sick okay, yeah if Par isn't an issue with Coraline I'll happily chop some holes for a light to stick over it.

I've got lights to spare, I could just get one of those clap on ones with a diffuser and slap it on the lid

OP
OP
Ex_Ex_Parrot

Ex_Ex_Parrot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Alright I'm having too much fun with this now lol

Attachments

• IMG_20231113_124724.jpg
    IMG_20231113_124724.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20231113_124712.jpg
    IMG_20231113_124712.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
Ex_Ex_Parrot

Ex_Ex_Parrot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOO YEAH WE GOT A BRISTLWORM AND ASTERINA

Attachments

• IMG_20240108_214417.jpg
    IMG_20240108_214417.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240108_214442.jpg
    IMG_20240108_214442.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 10

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back