Cynarina lacrymalis spawning project & setup.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updatorino Timorelli!

I picked up a giant green Cynarina at a local swap on Saturday,from a vendor based in NC. And I'll tell you, she is massive! After only two days, she's opened up the same size as my two biggest ones. Hoping for some good genes from her, she's got a lot of weird hues and secondary fluorescents going on that I can't wait to see pop!
IMG_0235 (2).JPG

In other news, four of the corals somehow grouped together like this in the valley! Not sure if snails were pushing them around or if they are doing it on their own, but I guess we'll see as I moved them all back to their spots.
IMG_0236 (2).JPG

The maroon one is just jiving in the corner for now, however he has company! Somehow, aiptasia got into the tank and have moved in around it's mantle. Luckily, I've seen some ads for Berghias in my local forum, so I may get a couple to take care of them.
IMG_0237 (2).JPG IMG_0238 (2).JPG
Today also marks this system's first ever water change! I went ahead and siphoned out as much detritus as I could get, but I forgot I needed the water for another tank so big fail there. I'll have to get some more next week.
In final news, my main tank is at a point where I can begin putting my hammers and nems back in. The tank will be a Cynarina-only tank once again, and I can refocus on dialing it in.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok. I found another project that spawned Cynarina in captivity, way back in 2019. They seem to have used the same region for their photoperiods, so that's cool. Sadly it's all in Japanese, but auto translators work reasonably well with Japanese so I'm not too worried. Hoping to find some more info on the site about their progress, stand by.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the only other reference to the experiment I could find, roughly one year later. It is unclear if the photos included are of the parents or the year-old babies.
This is really cool.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oi, it's been a good while hasn't it? Update time for sure.
A lot has happened over the past two months, some good and some bad. Sadly, I haven't given much time to the project, and thus I haven't been able to time seasonal changes as accurately as I'd like. the autumn temp drop is currently happening, and soon I will decrease the photoperiod as well to match. Current temps are at 73f.
While I wasn't paying attention, something struck my big green girl and made her really sick. I didn't have the time or space to set up a medicated tank, and thus she is no longer with us. It was just one of those slow, sad deteriorations that you can't stop. I'm very saddened by this, especially because she was my only green mother in the whole group! I will need to replace her next season for sure, but it will be interesting to see if the reds and pinks are totally inheritable too.
The worst thing is that I'm currently fighting diatoms of one type or another, and they are really driving me crazy. They are making all of the remaining coral sickly and weak, so much so that I've moved them to my main tank (with much protest) for the time being until I can figure this out. I did a 50% water change about a week ago, but within days the diatoms returned full force. Very puzzling indeed.
SO that's where I am at the moment. I will do a full range of tests to figure out the problem and hopefully correct it before they get too used to my display, which runs at 80f, and break their cycle. If that does happen, then so be it, I'll learn next time.
So those are the goings on of the tank, in order I'll attach some photos.

IMG_0465.JPG
Before the water change, last week.
IMG_0468.JPG
After the water change, last week.
IMG_0471.JPG
The tank today.
IMG_0472.JPG
Closeup of the diatoms.
IMG_0470.JPG
The corals in the main display. I expect some bleaching, sadly.

Thank you all again for following the project, forgive me for my absence lately. Have a wonderful week and God bless!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a microscope and identify which diatoms? Will help with the removal. I hate those things.
Sorry about the green girl. I hope the rest bounce back when the tank is ready to have them back.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a microscope and identify which diatoms? Will help with the removal. I hate those things.
Sorry about the green girl. I hope the rest bounce back when the tank is ready to have them back.
Will do. I think I might have some slides at home, so I'll go look for those now.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get pictures through my scope, but I believe the dinos that I'm suffering are Osteopsis, they're small and stationary with a coppery hue. I'll do some more research on how to eliminate them.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're officially on month 11 of the project, can I get a whoop. Unfortunately, I do not expect eggs this year. Let me explain.
It all began in April of 2022, when I purchased my initial broodstock pieces at the Aquatic Expo. My lack of thought lead to me putting the corals in the tank right away, which would normally be just fine. However, one of the animals had an Aiptasia stowing away on the base, and soon after the tank became infested with aiptasia anemones. Normally I'd just get a peppermint shrimp for this, however the aips were in the pipes and in my pumps, so no amount of biological weaponry would stop them.
Fast forward to September, and here's the dilemma. If I kept on going with my temperature and photoperiod cycles, there's no way I could prevent the remaining Aiptasia from spawning as well, and the aip pips would no doubt overcome the Cynarina pips! So I decided to halt my seasonal swings and await the proper time to dismantle the tank and start over. In November discouragement took root, I started getting lazy, all the good things, and I eventually shelved the project for a few months, moving the Cynarina into my other nano tank for the time being while I waited for the right time to re-run their tank.
In that nano, in which a Fungia had begun dying a few weeks prior, all five of my remaining animals contracted some sort of wasting disease, which particularly affected my two smallest and the largest one. Another 3 months of me not paying attention and here we are, back at square -1.
IMG_0505.JPG
The condy is a temporary addition.
IMG_0506.JPG IMG_0507.JPG
As of last night, I have started treating all five (and an LTA) with a medium dose of Ciprofloxacin, which I will maintain over the next week or until the dears are looking better. In the meantime, I will be photographing their progress and filming the process of the tank reset on the main system.
IMG_0499.JPG
Tank is set up beside my Pinguicula propagation tank.

Now comes the fun part, making a new plan.
_I'm going to install a proper krisel in-between the tank and sump to collect eggs as they flow through the system. I forgot to plan for this in the initial build.
-The center baffle in the sump also collapsed, rendering it pretty much useless until I can repair it. I have no room for a grow out area anymore so tweaks will have to be made.
-A light with better controllability will be needed, so I'm going to be swapping my Noopsyche to another tank and replacing it with an old AI Sol. This can be tweaked and reprogrammed far easier.
-I will be considering flow direction in addition to lighting and temperature to further mimic seasonal currents.
-Current rock and sand will be replaced with new dry rock & barebottom to keep the tank cleaner.
-Biological filtration in the way of filter feeding organisms will be employed to a greater degree.
IMG_0509.JPG IMG_0510.JPG
I've experimented with using filter feeders to collect waste.

So thank y'all for sticking around so long. Though I may not get pips this year, I will hopefully have the framework ready for them by next spring. Expect great things in the coming year.
Have a wonderful day and God bless.

Attachments

• IMG_0500.JPG
    IMG_0500.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day three of Cipro, and things are looking wonderful. Far less exposed mesentaries, and far more expansion. No more gaping mouths either.
IMG_0520.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_0522.JPG

This morning, each coral was encased in a sheath of greying slime, which appears to be leftovers of whatever pathogen was taking them down. I attempted to take some microscope footage of the mucous, linked below.

Cynarina Lacrymalis microbiome (Microscope footage) - YouTube

For a transcription, it appears that there is some sort of dinoflagellate in the slime, which I suspect to be dead, as it is present in the stomachs of almost every creature I found in the slime sample. Notable ones are a larval spaghetti worm, a tardigrade (not filmed), several small flatworms (not filmed), and thousands of nematodes (not filmed) and what I expect to be rotifers. Coral microbiology is absolutely nuts.

I'm preparing to film the tank teardown this week, so I suppose stay tuned.

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day four, everyone looking better than ever! More expansion, less slime, tightly shut mouths, and almost no exposed mesentaries. The corals who had exposed skeleton are now re-inflating around those regions. The only one I'm worried about is my smallest one, which I started calling Dayglow. She's almost totally retracted still, though this morning she did shed a big sheath of slime & now has a couple vesicles inflated. I supposed we'll see how she fares. IMG_0530.JPG
I've named them for easier ID, left to right:
Cola, Angie, Fritter, Dayglow, Big Pickle

IMG_0531.JPG
Cola looking much better today!
IMG_0532.JPG
Big Pickle almost filling her container!

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's awesome. Are you just treating with Cipro? Nothing else? Also - if you don't mind me asking, could you explain why you are treating with Cipro? I'm trying to learn more about coral medication and understand differing approaches. Whenever things go south for me I do KFC dip. But I hate just following something and not understanding it.

Hoping things continue to heal!

OP
OP
Mr_Knightley

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's awesome. Are you just treating with Cipro? Nothing else? Also - if you don't mind me asking, could you explain why you are treating with Cipro? I'm trying to learn more about coral medication and understand differing approaches. Whenever things go south for me I do KFC dip. But I hate just following something and not understanding it.

Hoping things continue to heal!
To be honest, I wish I could give you a full list of why I use Cipro, but I only know that it's worked really well for many different people and that it fights pathogens. I'm 100% going to include it as a protocol for any new Cynarina I add to the collection!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back