OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D2, here’s the sump. I still have work to do but wanted to share how it looks since you seemed interested in it. It’s an amazing sump, I had to change up red seas layout, haha.
Very nice. Tag me in your build thread when you start one.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who don't know, Houston got hit by a surprise storm that brought with it Tornado activity (very unusual for us) and severe straight-line winds. We live in one of the areas that got hit with the more severe straight-line winds... they reported anywhere between 80-120 mph gusts.

Power is out right now with no indication of when it will be back. The initial number was 1,000,000 customers in the dark. Could be hours, could be weeks. Some have been restored, thankfully my aging parents is one of those homes. And thankfully, we do have a whole-home generator (Generac) that has been running now for 36 hours.

We lost our massive tree in the front yard. Luckily it missed both the house and one of the cars that was parked in the driveway by mere inches. Many other people around me were not so lucky, who now have homes that are shared with their tree or their neighbor's tree, making them inhabitable. We also lost 40' of privacy fence and a couple of smaller trees we had planted this past year. All-in-all though we were lucky. The family is all good, the house is good, just a bit gutted by the loss of the tree. :downcast-face-with-sweat: Nature is a b----. lol

The tank is ok since we have the generator. With the money this is costing me in emergency tree removal and fence repair I could have purchased a whole new reef! :squinting-face-with-tongue:

1716034139847.jpeg
1716034159640.jpeg

1716034194235.jpeg

ScottD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear you’re ok and safe. Hopefully you get power back sooner than later. It’s nice having the whole generator in situations like this. We installed one for our house after a tropical storm came through and knock us out of power for a week. My wife was pregnant at the time and decided we couldn’t deal with the stress of that again with kids on the way.

Good luck with the cleanup and fingers crossed you get power back soon.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all.
Still running on generator power! Oil level got real low so added more this morning.
About 60 hours so far.

Clean-up is pretty much done. Was happy to save all trees in the backyard that were smashed by the fence. Amazingly the trunks BENT rather than snapping so I was able to upright them. Hopefully they will recover, outside of a few broken branches.

So other than power we are back to as normal as can be expected.

1716139937250.jpeg
1716139962918.jpeg

Unfortunately, many of my neighbors were not so lucky.

1716140013825.jpeg

1716140036336.jpeg

Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 12.37.16 PM.png

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power is back and seems stable! Came back last night.
So a little over 72 hours.
The standby generator was a lifesaver! Up until now it has been convenient when power has gone out for short periods, but having experienced an extended outage now... TOTALLY worth the purchase price!

Now back to your regular scheduled programming. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
(how much longer can we say this until it ages out and no one even gets it anymore?)

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back