Dalua Great White Return Pump

Reef2317

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers!

Just a quick question I found myself curious if a Dalua Return Pump can be used outside a tank in an In-Line position rather than submerged?

It doesn't state this on its box like the sicce brand do, but seems possible due to dual threading system.

It certainly seems like it could, but I want to make sure before I try it.

Thanks in advance everyone

AMPalsson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers!

Just a quick question I found myself curious if a Dalua Return Pump can be used outside a tank in an In-Line position rather than submerged?

It doesn't state this on its box like the sicce brand do, but seems possible due to dual threading system.

It certainly seems like it could, but I want to make sure before I try it.

Thanks in advance everyone
Honestly, I would stay look at other options than Great White.
My tank has been running since June last year and I have a Great White 8000 that has given me no end of grief since I set it up in my Red Sea Reefer 525 G2 system.
Several months ago, I attempted to contact Great White due to problems with unstable flow and therefore inability to regulate the water level in my display tank.
At the time, it took several days to get as much as a reply which was nothing but fobbing me off.
Recently, the pump problems started rearing their ugly head again with the pump randomly stopping and then starting again, typically at a far higher flow rate than before. This resulted in the pump chamber in the sump running low and the ATO subsequently dumping copious amounts of fresh water into the system with resulting drop in salinity.
The last few days have been nightmarish. Pump crashes virtually daily and then starts again, some minutes later - or doesn't start at all.
I have done everything that makes any sense to do. Several times pulled the pump out, thoroughly cleaned it. I even scraped the glass in the pump chamber clean like a bathroom mirror and siphoned out any possible detritus, but to no avail.
I tried to log a warranty issue through my store (which by the way are exceptionally helpful) but the only thing I got back from Dalua was this email
error 7 means that there is a blockage in the impellor and the pump is going into a protection forced stop mode so as to not burn out the impellor. What we recommend in these circumstances is to clean the pump, if there is a refugium, substrate or snails etc in the sump to make sure there is adequate filter wool or mechanical filtration before the pump section.
Something is getting inside the return pump chamber and blocking the pump.
Supposedly, they also suggested that they sell me a replacement pump at cost price (my pump is still under warranty)
I have been a Reefer since 2008 and feel severely let down by their response
I understand these pumps are probably cheaper than most on the market, which explains their performance

All I wanted was to have my pump replaced under warranty but the experience makes me wonder if I want another Great White anywhere near my Reef

Upvote 0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 124 75.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back