damsel lovers thread

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think Azures are my favorite. Small peaceful and you can usually do a group of them in your tank if it is big enough.
azure.jpeg

OP
OP
Baby Damsel 219

Baby Damsel 219

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on getting a sergeant major damselfish o r a three-striped damselfish. Do you think is is a good idea?

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My starcki doesnt sit still for more than .1 second but...

Attachments

• 20240422_124323.jpg
    20240422_124323.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240422_124248.jpg
    20240422_124248.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 20

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallon
definitely not the sergeant major. They get very large. If you're okay with the three stripe being the only fish in your 20 gallon, that should work, although when the fish gets to full size it may need an upgrade to a 29 gallon.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a cuc thread and a wrasse lovers thread. so Let's make this one
I'm a sucker for Velvet Damsels. LOL, learned the hard way about juvenile vs. adult distinctions! Yes, I kept it. It was a little ugly, but a lifeform nonetheless.

I like the yellow tail Damsels too. Pretty basic, but nice to look at!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say "most" hobbyist but maybe it is better to say "in general" damsel lovers stay with the Genus of Chrysiptera. Searches here and elsewhere will yield Talbots, Azures, Randles, and others that are a bit more friendlier or accepted. Starcki's are amazing when you can A find them and B don't mind paying a premium. They are the bees knees.

@ca1ore had over 60 Azures in his 400 or 450 gallon system.

I've kept 7 captive bred Sapphires (Pomacentrus pavo). That was fun, chaotic, in my 210 gallon mixed reef. The only problem is as spawning occurred it was difficult to introduce new fish. The new fish didn't know the egg nest location(s) so got up pretty bad. Beautiful fish though but sadly I had to rehome them.

I've successfully kept a Surge Damselfish (Chrysiptera brownriggii). I don't see many these days but it was a fun fish to keep. Peaceful. Open water swimmer in my display compared to the Sapphires above. Could just be the one I had but kept to its own.

In this case the Sapphires and Surge are in the system at the same time.

Previous display I kept 1 Azure (Chrysiptera hemicyanea) and 2 Talbots ( Chrysiptera talboti) together and that worked out well. Peaceful and uneventful.

Currently I have 11 Biota Lyretail Damselfish (Neopomacentrus azysron) in my 210 mixed reef and they are a lot of fun. Spawning. Shoal for a bit. Small bickering. No torn fins. No fight clubs. Little bit of nest defense but not overly aggressive. Small size - less than 2 inches. Black body, yellow inner fin, blue trim. Steamers. Brings a reef to life with all of the hustle and bustle that they provide. These fish hug the reef structure. Need a lot of rock (in my opinion, experience) and mature corals. The more mature display the better off you will be. The best part - captive bred and a good deal. I bought 5 originally to test the waters. One day I get an email and they are on sale for 20 bucks a pop. Ordered another 6 which brought me to 11.

There are plenty of damsels that will work in a reef tank. The trick is really adding them at the right time. Chrysipterea genus has a lot of choices that will work. Just be patient and when the time is right add them.

OP
OP
Baby Damsel 219

Baby Damsel 219

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely not the sergeant major. They get very large. If you're okay with the three stripe being the only fish in your 20 gallon, that should work, although when the fish gets to full size it may need an upgrade to a 29 gallon.
there is a community reef in this tank. 2 clowns, 2 yellowtail damsels, a six-line wrasse, and lemon damselfish

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll grab a pic tonight, but my yellow tail blue damsel is my oldest fish. He's around 10 years old, fat and grumpy living his best life. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back