danenelsen’s 55 Gallon Revitalization Build

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! This is my build thread for my 55 gallon aquarium! A little backstory, I first jumped into saltwater in October of 2022. I had done fresh for years and thought salt might be fun to try. I ended up with a 55 gallon tank and a sump that I bought used. I didn’t really know what I was doing, but nevertheless I started down my saltwater journey. I experienced the usual highs and lows of keeping an aquarium, but I hadn’t been able to keep most fish alive. I lost fish due to mainly two things: jumping into the overflow/sump and an aggressive fish. By November of 2023, I had grown frustrated and was almost ready to quit. However, after pondering whether to get out of salt for a few months, I realized how much I love it. Yesterday, I decided to do a full tank clean out and make it my own. Right now, the only inhabitants are two clowns, I’m eager to get stocking, but I’m going to take my time with this one. The goal is to eventually get coral, but that probably won’t happen for awhile. So here’s to starting fresh!

Tank Before Remodel
IMG_1858.jpeg

Tank After Remodel
IMG_1867.jpeg

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! This is my build thread for my 55 gallon aquarium! A little backstory, I first jumped into saltwater in October of 2022. I had done fresh for years and thought salt might be fun to try. I ended up with a 55 gallon tank and a sump that I bought used. I didn’t really know what I was doing, but nevertheless I started down my saltwater journey. I experienced the usual highs and lows of keeping an aquarium, but I hadn’t been able to keep most fish alive. I lost fish due to mainly two things: jumping into the overflow/sump and an aggressive fish. By November of 2023, I had grown frustrated and was almost ready to quit. However, after pondering whether to get out of salt for a few months, I realized how much I love it. Yesterday, I decided to do a full tank clean out and make it my own. Right now, the only inhabitants are two clowns, I’m eager to get stocking, but I’m going to take my time with this one. The goal is to eventually get coral, but that probably won’t happen for awhile. So here’s to starting fresh!

Tank Before Remodel
IMG_1858.jpeg

Tank After Remodel
IMG_1867.jpeg
Nice work!! Looks awesome..

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it fits the space very well! You used glue and putty for that precarious connection on the right I assume?
Actually no…I didn’t have any on hand. I made it as secure as possible though, and I plan to attach them together as soon as I pick some up.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually no…I didn’t have any on hand. I made it as secure as possible though, and I plan to attach them together as soon as I pick some up.
So it's just balanced like that? Idk, that's a big rock if it was to go down... I would keep it on the sand until you have the glue

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added another wave maker today. It’s nothing fancy, but it does the job. I’m debating on whether it’s too much flow…My clowns seem to be enjoying swimming in the current, but they also usually just hang out in a little to no current spot.
IMG_1869.jpeg
IMG_1870.jpeg

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found one of the Cardinals dead this morning. Water parameters were good, and it didn’t look like it was attacked so I’m thinking it was probably stress that got it. The other one seems to be doing fine.

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost the other Cardnal this morning, it was acting very weird yesterday, so I kind of expected it…nothing seemed particularly wrong with it…I guess it was just a bad fish. It still kind of hurts though. I’m going to try Pajama Cardnals next, I haven’t had much success with Bangaiis.

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I picked up three Pajama Cardnals from a local reefer. I acclimated them, and they seem to be doing great! They haven’t eaten yet, but I’m sure they will soon. More updates soon to come!

Attachments

• IMG_2113.jpeg
    IMG_2113.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2112.jpeg
    IMG_2112.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2111.jpeg
    IMG_2111.jpeg
    234.2 KB · Views: 7

ReeferFive-0

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like the way this guy is looking at me :grinning-squinting-face:
1000003934.jpg

Good luck with this tank, I hope the pajamas do better for you. Did you confirm all parameters were good after you lost the banggai?

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like the way this guy is looking at me :grinning-squinting-face:
1000003934.jpg

Good luck with this tank, I hope the pajamas do better for you. Did you confirm all parameters were good after you lost the banggai?
Yes, the parameters were good, so it must have been just unhealthy fish. I think getting them from someone rather than a store will increase the chances of survival. We’ll see!

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: All three Cardnals are doing good; swimming around, hanging out, etc. I haven’t gotten them to eat yet, but hopefully they will soon!

OP
OP
danenelsen

danenelsen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks coming along
What coral might you add?
I've had so many salty deaths too myself unfortunately
I haven’t made a strict plan for coral yet…the fish are more important to me, but when I do, I’ll probably start pretty simple, Zoas, Mushrooms, etc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back