Dark Red Algae

Alpha Fishstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two types of Algae growing in my tank. Coralline Algae is the first and there is a second I'm not sure what it's called. Would anyone know what this is from the following pictures? Thank you

IMG_0182.JPG

IMG_0181.JPG

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take a turkey baster or blow on it does it come off? If it does its red cyano(bad). If its hard and stays put it is coralline (good sort of).

OP
OP
Alpha Fishstick

Alpha Fishstick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you take a turkey baster or blow on it does it come off? If it does its red cyano(bad). If its hard and stays put it is coralline (good sort of).

No it doesn't come off easy at all. Are you saying there are different types of Coraline Algae? The Coraline Algae I am familiar with is a much lighter purple almost pink. Is this Red Algae another form of Coraline?

Thanks for your response :)

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coraline can be many colors. To me it looks like coralline but its so hard to tell from the photo. Even that green on the rock can be a form of coralline so I am told

SnapBackReeef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same stuff on my rock. Never harmed anything I believe it's the good kind of algae doesn't look like red slime to me rather coraline [emoji1360][emoji1360]

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back