DaStaCo Reactor Thread

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys, how about starting a DaStaCo reactor thread, listing likes,dislikes, problems encountered, setup, what type media used, etc. I’m considering purchasing one, unless someone can talk me out of it. Seems to be quite a few forum members running this unit. Let’s hear about your experience

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys, how about starting a DaStaCo reactor thread, listing likes,dislikes, problems encountered, setup, what type media used, etc. I’m considering purchasing one, unless someone can talk me out of it. Seems to be quite a few forum members running this unit. Let’s hear about your experience

I was soo on the fence about getting one of these and decided to go with a Geo818/SMC415, a custom built CO2 regulator, Kamoer doser, and the other stuff needed. Biggest reasons for me going that route are:

1. Not enough info out there from a support perspective to let me feel comfortable buying the unit and needing support for it. Who do you contact and how is everything handled if needing parts, etc.? How responsive is that support?
2. Didn't want to have to deal with a converter (major oversight on their part if you ask me). Why not make a 110 version for the states?
3. Yes you do not need to count bubbles, but at the same time I personally do not mind counting them if I need to. It allows me to be more in-tune with what will be going on with my tank and not just have everything sooo automatic. Besides, with me already having the Alkatronic to let me know when something isn't right, I feel much more confident that I will not nuke my tank.
4. Did I mention support for it? This definitely cannot be taken for granted when you are spending soo much on a unit and need help.

I am sure that the unit will be great for you and anyone else that does decide to bite the bullet and purchase it or for those that have already purchased it. Just for my personal taste, the items above just steered me away from the unit.

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mitch for your input, and those are exactly the same guestions I have pondered. The very reason why I posted this thread, to see what others that have purchased this reactor have to say, see if they have any regrets, if they had it to do over would they have chosen some other eguipment and why. For the price that they are asking, more information is definitely needed on my part, I was hoping that Unique Coral might chime in and let us know what support they give, so I’ll wait and see if any others have some valuable input

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks stevenlu, did you have to purchase anything else to get started other than the co2 tank, please elaborate, pics would be great. Got any tips on tuning it in? Is that just frequent Alk checks, anything else involved

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DaStaCo reactor is great. No complaints after its setup. But tuning it in the beginning took a little longer and was a big frustrating.

How long have you been running it?
Have you needed to reach out for support?
If so how was the support for it?
What media are you using in it?

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can give a little insight into the DaStaco. I’ve had one running for 4 years. It’s probably the best piece of equipment I have. It’s well designed, well built and is easy to operate. I’ve had a few small issues over the years that have been dealt with quickly and well by the manufacturer using email and Facebook messenger. They have a support page in Facebook that is pretty active as well. Parts are easy enough to obtain but to tell you the truth, there is little you have to service or replace very often at all. Highly recommended if you’re willing to spend the money.

And the 110 to 220 conversion is a $30 unit that you can pickup on Amazon. It hasn’t been an issue for me at all.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can give a little insight into the DaStaco. I’ve had one running for 4 years. It’s probably the best piece of equipment I have. It’s well designed, well built and is easy to operate. I’ve had a few small issues over the years that have been dealt with quickly and well by the manufacturer using email and Facebook messenger. They have a support page in Facebook that is pretty active as well. Parts are easy enough to obtain but to tell you the truth, there is little you have to service or replace very often at all. Highly recommended if you’re willing to spend the money.

And the 110 to 220 conversion is a $30 unit that you can pickup on Amazon. It hasn’t been an issue for me at all.

That's pretty good @acesq

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great Info!
Facebook Support is a good thing , but everybody don't do facebook, everybody does R2R so well see if we can get enough people interested to make this a support page. Guys keep it coming

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great Info!
Facebook Support is a good thing , but everybody don't do facebook, everybody does R2R so well see if we can get enough people interested to make this a support page. Guys keep it coming

I’d say more people do Facebook than R2R and the group there is already very large. But I do both so if you buy one and have any issues, feel free to hit me up.

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@acesq what size is your tank and are you running any other supplement, have you done any ICP test, what media are you using, Did you purchase from Unique Coral?

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My system is 400 gal -- 340 display with a large sump and 40g frag tank. Right now I'm using the AMS Pro Cal media. I prior to that I used the Triton Dastaco media which worked just as well but is more expensive. Before either of those came out I used ARM extra coarse. It also worked fine but got mushy faster. Right now I dose trace elements, an iron supplement for cheato and do very few water changes. I haven't done an ICP test in 6+ months after finding a method that seems to keep the levels where they should be. I'm due for another one though, I started using a new trace element solution a month ago.

I bought my Dastaco directly from the manufacturer before Unique started selling them. Shipping was expensive!

OP
OP
Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. Im using ATI essentials at the present on a 300 gal system and the 10 L batches are only lasting about 20 days, so I need to switch to a calrx, I'm giving the DaSatCo much consideration. I'm trying to find as much information as I can; I have run across a few of your post concerning them on other threads

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are lots of ways to skin that cat, and you have to make the choice that best for your needs and budget, but I haven’t regretted my purchase at all. Coupled with the Alkatronic, I never worry about my alk or calcium levels. The only adjustment is a small turn of the dial.

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my GEO for a little while, and have tuned it in and out over the years. The right regulator made a big difference, and have been looking into a feed pump, and they are pricey, so I am looking at dastaco because of how easy it seems.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my GEO for a little while, and have tuned it in and out over the years. The right regulator made a big difference, and have been looking into a feed pump, and they are pricey, so I am looking at dastaco because of how easy it seems.

Have you given the Kamoer a look for your feed pump? Not really expensive.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 38 58.5%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back