Davy Jones' Skimmate Locker: new skimmer accessory!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AVAST Marine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that the Swabbie has increased skimmate production while also reducing the frequency of skimmer cleaning, many of you have mentioned that it would be nice not to have to empty your smelly collection cups as often, or even better, worry about messy skimmate overflows.

So to that end, we developed a device that sinks two boats with one cannonball: isolate skimmate while purifying stinky exhaust air, as well as provide a failsafe mechanism to shut off over-eager skimmers.

Our new skimmate collector and shutoff system, Davy Jones' Skimmate Locker, comes in three sizes to most efficiently fit next to your sump, where space is always premium. Rather than a traditional ping-pong ball (which only works with downdraft skimmers) or a magnetic float switch that travels on a central rod and is prone to sticking (especially in a vat full of sticky fish poo), we opted to use a pressure-sensitive switch triggered by rising fluid level. As the fluid level reaches the sensor tube, air is trapped and pressurized, causing the switch to open and cutting power to the skimmer pump(s). While the skimmate level rises, stinky air is forced out the top of the Locker, through a carbon filter that scrubs the foulness from the air before it harms your senses.

Now, rather than reaching to pull off a skimmer cup that may only have centimeters of clearance, or dealing with a hose in a flimsy milk jug, simply disconnect the two pieces of tubing and dump. Combined with a Swabbie, and depending on your skimmer's production volume, you could safely go weeks or even months without touching the skimmer and know that it is running at peak efficiency, with the peace of mind that it will shut off when full. A pretty green LED light indicates a working outlet; i.e., when the switch is not activated.

Installation is very straightforward. Simply fill the Locker's cap with carbon, connect a tube from your skimmer cup drain to the Locker, and plug in the relay box between your skimmer pump and its outlet. Done.

Prices start at $119.99 for the complete system, and preorders will start soon.

locker_3sizes.jpg

locker_top.jpg

OP
OP
C

ctenophore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you be doing a combo for the Swabbie and Davy Jones' Skimmate Locker?
That would make a lot of sense, wouldn't it? I think we can put a deal together on them :)

For those wondering, here are preliminary specs:
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]Specs                  Small         Medium        Large

chamber                3.75"         4.5"          6"
footprint              4.75x4.75     5.5x5.5       7x7
total height           18"           18"           18"
capacity               2200ml        3200ml        5900ml 
power input            110v          110v          110v
for pumps up to        3A            3A            3A
switch rating          10+ M cycles  10+ M cycles  10+ M cycles[/FONT]
Thanks for the compliments everyone!

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this is awesome, totally need this to go with my skimmer now that I have the swabbie. Great job!!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Count me in! Awesome!

Quinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I am impressed! You guys have really been putting your thinking caps on.

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great guys. This is an absolute necessity on an external skimmer, or any skimmer that uses a feed pump. Learned that from bitter experience.

OP
OP
C

ctenophore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wanna see it in action
This is 8 hrs of skimmate from my main system's skimmer:
locker_action.jpg

(please excuse the messy floor)

I will try to shoot a video of it turning off the Hammerhead pinwheel pump shortly.

Looks great guys. This is an absolute necessity on an external skimmer, or any skimmer that uses a feed pump. Learned that from bitter experience.
Oh definitely. I have spilled more skimmate on that floor pictured above than I care to admit! Luckily it's all "outside" the house, or at least it runs outside once enough spills :)

Last edited:

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had this delivered yesterday, and as usual the guys at Avast have another awesome product. All around great transaction with superfast shipping.

The skimmate locker is really well built and just a great design. I have a BK skimmer and there were times when it would mysteriously overflow after power outages and such, causing a flood. This will protect me from that ever happening again along with allowing me to not have to clean the skimmer for quite a long time, since I have the Swabbie hooked up also. Its going to be so convenienent knowing that I can now be away from my system for a while and have peace of mind that my skimmer is running perfectly and no risk of a flood.

The guys at Avast are an absolute pleasure to deal with, I highly recommend them and their products. Thanks guys for everything!

OP
OP
C

ctenophore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to get my supersized skimmate locker. :)

Here is yours, Ian- fill tested and cured, ready to ship:
locker_xl.png

I just had this delivered yesterday, and as usual the guys at Avast have another awesome product. All around great transaction with superfast shipping.

The skimmate locker is really well built and just a great design. I have a BK skimmer and there were times when it would mysteriously overflow after power outages and such, causing a flood. This will protect me from that ever happening again along with allowing me to not have to clean the skimmer for quite a long time, since I have the Swabbie hooked up also. Its going to be so convenienent knowing that I can now be away from my system for a while and have peace of mind that my skimmer is running perfectly and no risk of a flood.

The guys at Avast are an absolute pleasure to deal with, I highly recommend them and their products. Thanks guys for everything!
Glad to help, Darren. Thanks for the compliments!

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, that looks sweet. My skimmer is going to be able to go a long time without maintenance with that. hahaha.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 90 49.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back