OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might want to get a grounding probe. Here is link with a member having a similar issue: http://reef2reef.com/threads/electrical-shock.226055/#post-2619554
That was my first instinct but I have been reading a lot about stray current and grounding probes. Some say you need to isolate the piece of equipment that is responsible for the stray current and fix or replace it. They say that a probe just guarentees that current will be directed through the tank and it's not a good thing.
I did install a new GFCI in the outlet the display tank is plugged in to as well so I am protected from full out electrocution until I figure out which piece of equipment is the bad actor. I read you can use a voltage meter and put 1 prong in the water and the other prong in the ground of the outlet while 1 piece of equipment is running. If it registers current then it's the bad actor.

el aguila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had small amounts of electricity and a few times enough to give you a shock. I generally unplug everything and start plugging back in.

What can make it difficult to find is when it is something that is not on all the time like a heater, float valve, etc. through the years the worst offender have been the cheaper float valves that most people use for ATO. They always go bad; the only question is how long will they last.

I've swapped all of mine out in my systems for the typhoon type of ATO that operates off of air pressure from water depth. I have one that I've had for over 6 years and it still works flawlessly.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had small amounts of electricity and a few times enough to give you a shock. I generally unplug everything and start plugging back in.

What can make it difficult to find is when it is something that is not on all the time like a heater, float valve, etc. through the years the worst offender have been the cheaper float valves that most people use for ATO. They always go bad; the only question is how long will they last.

I've swapped all of mine out in my systems for the typhoon type of ATO that operates off of air pressure from water depth. I have one that I've had for over 6 years and it still works flawlessly.
Almost all my equipment runs all the time except the chiller and I have only heard it kick on once since the sump was moved to the basement. I don't use a heater for the seahorses. I will just have to systematically check each piece of equipment separately.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We found the problem today of why I was getting little shocks from my tanks. An extension cord I was using was missing the ground prong. The voltage meter was reading 110 volts when 1 prong was put in the ground of the outlet and 1 prong put in the tank water. That was horrifying! We swapped out that extension cord for a new one and now the tank water does not measure any voltage. I sure feel better!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My wonderful husband surprised me with some finishing touches to the entrance of my fish/sump room. I wanted a dry erase board to keep track of changing bulbs, flushing the chiller and other such things. He done good! How can one not adore a man who does that?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awe very cool!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had to dismantle some rock work to get at some of the bubble algae and of course it never goes back the same. Actually my overall scape improved with the tank having better defined negative space, or at least I think so.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loving the new look!!! :)

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Krista. I am liking it too. I feel like this aquarium system is really working well for the seahorses. Since I upgraded the sump and moved it to the basement water changes are easy so I can do all I want with no carrying or lifting. Also my return pump has doubled the turnover in the tank which is also a good thing. And my chiller runs much less which my electric bill appreciates. I bet my tank could handle 1 more seahorse but I haven't because even Adam and Eve hitch to each other at the food bowl and scatter mysis everywhere some times. 3 ponies hitched to eat at one time could be chaotic. I have lots of hitching posts there for them but they just don't always use them, ha ha!

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

New video of dinner time. Everyone gets in on the action. You can even see peppermint shrimp waiting in the wings for any mysis that might waft by.

I have to say this is an unreal tank, and your video really shows it off. There are quite a few tanks on this forum that I really like but I have to say this is my favorite!! Your seahorse are beautiful!!

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say this is an unreal tank, and your video really shows it off. There are quite a few tanks on this forum that I really like but I have to say this is my favorite!! Your seahorse are beautiful!!
Oh and your other fish are beautiful as well the pipe fish is so cool. :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 83 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.8%
Back