vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing
Do you get any algae problems?
Thank you. Amazingly with those high nutrients, I do not. I am an old reefer from the 90s and back then all our tanks had high nutrients. Usually we cut back on the food a little and and if the nuisance algae was bad, we cut back a lot on how long we ran the lights. Now with all the ornamental macroalgae, I actually need those high nutrients.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your tank and I'm enjoying your threads. You have a deep sand bed, how do you maintain it? do you ever do deep thorough gravel vac?
Hi carol3, I noticed that you were reading through my thread and you deserve to be applauded for being so diligent.

Thank you for the kind words about my tank.

Yes, I am a die hard fan of deep sand beds because they don't need any maintenance except to stir the top half inch once a month or so. I let my nassarius snails and cucumber do that for me. I used to work for a lfs and my boss set up tank after tank and they all had deep sand beds including his own in the store. I took care of many of those tanks and I don't know of a single instance where the deep sand bed poisoned the tank. One of my friend's tanks is 22 years old and has the original deep sand bed in it. They are the easiest option out there in my opinion as long as the tank is oxygenated.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back